Search results

1. CMG

Vehicle LED's

Hey all, I was driving along today and saw one of the newer audi's driving the other direction. They have the LED headlights along the bottom of the lgiht that make a little "wave" and a thought came to mind: "Could one use the LED's from a vehicle to light their tank?" The reason I ask...
  2. CMG

Want To Buy Live Rock

I am starting a nano tank that is 7.5 gallons so I am trying to find someone who has any live rock to sell in small quantities like 15lbs? I cant seem to find anyone selling less than 30-40lbs min.. I want to get some that already has coraline algae on it. My zip is 95403 if your willing to...
  3. CMG

Reptile Pad vs. Aquarium Heater

Has anyone used a reptile heating pad on a nano tank? I am working on a 12x12x12 nano and I wanted it to look really clean (no wires) so I was thinking of slapping a heat pad underneath the tank on the stand. I have done a lot of research on the internet and have only found a picture of one...
  4. CMG

Nano Reef Lighting

I previously ran a 40g tank which was easy to find lighting for and last night I bought a 12"x12"x12" tank to start a nano. My biggest problem at this point is trying to find a light that will work for me. Will it be ok to run a PC light on this tank for LPS's since it is so shallow and small...
  5. CMG

New Flame Angelfish

Hello, I got a flame angelfish on sunday. Gave him/her a freshwater dip as descirbed in the sticky but it only lasted 10 minutes as I freaked out and thought he wasnt going to make it. It was totaly fine 2 minutes later in the QT tank. Seems to be happy ever since. Really friendly little guy...
  6. CMG

Adding Magnesium

Hello, I finaly tested for magnesium which I hadnt been doing. According to the test I dont have any at all...? Its a salifert test and I have done it 3 times. The way it works is you use this equation (1-test result)x1500. Well in order to get a "good" mg level you have to obviously get...
  7. CMG

Chiller operation question?

Ok, if you are pumping water into the chiller and then it turns off what happens to the water that is still in the rubber tubing and inside the chiller? Wont it get all nasty and stuff just sitting in there? Also, coudnt you put a smaller pump than necessary on a chiller since that would...
  8. CMG

150g w/stand & canopy $40.00

I found this on craigslist, listed in Oakland , CA. If anyone here is in that area and looking for a deal I would contact this guy. I live in an apartment and cannot take advantage but had to post this here incase someone can take advantage! 150+ Gallon Aquarium If this is not okay to post...
  9. CMG

Tek T5 Modification Question

So I built a hood last sat. for my tank and I have a 36" Tek T5 light fixture. Originally I was just going to screw in two hooks to the inside hood of the canopy and hang the light from that (the light comes with eyelets on the top for this). I am wondering if it would be better to just take...
  10. CMG

Canopy Build Help

Hello, my buddy and I made a canopy this last sat. for my aquarium. I wasnt thinking properly and we accidentaly put a piece of wood across the bottom in the back for support to keep the sides from bowing out.. This wont work because I have an overflow and return plumbing coming up over the back...
  11. CMG

Is my plate coral dead?

My plate coral had two rocks drop on it some weeks ago. It did ok for a few days but now only a small portion of it puffs up at night. The tenticles still come out as if trying to catch food but it wont eat any food I give it. I assume this means its dead? I dont know??? Anyone know how to tell...
  12. CMG

A little PO'd

I was trying to stock a medicine cabinet because I want some new fish soon and will be using my first QT process. So here I am trying to be all responsible about it, got some de-worming food, methylene blue for a dip and then I go to get some formalin and I cant because I live in CA!! What the...
  13. CMG

Chiller questions

How many degrees do fans blowing across the tank take off? Just wondering if I need a chiller or not when I move at the end of the month. I am moving to a place that typically gets above 100 degrees in the afternoons.... If I do need one then can someone make a recomendation on brand and...
  14. CMG

Coraline Not Growing...

I have had my tank going not since January 21, but have have the LR and sand going since August. The only coraline algae I have in my tank is on two pieces of rock that came with it from the LFS when I bought a mushrooms rock and a GSP rock. The mushroom rock even looks like the coraline may...
  15. CMG

Sump Design Flaw?

I built a 10g sump/fuge for my 40g tank. The design is: overflow output -baffle-baffle-Fuge-baffle-baffle-return pump section. The problem is that the water entering the fuge seems to just go right across the top section of water to the next baffle so there is hardly any flow at all in the fuge...
  16. CMG

Is this bad?

These little tenticle thingys are all over a piece of rock I bought today which has green star polyps on it. I think they maybe baby sea stars but I am not sure. I want to keep this thing acclimating in the bad until I know its safe. Thank you.
  17. CMG

Return Plumbing question

So I am in the process of adding a sump/fuge to my 40g tank and I cut the return PVC so that you cant see it stick up above the back of the tank for cosmetic purposes. Then there is a fitting in the end of it to attach locline to come up over the edge of the tank and into the water. But then I...
  18. CMG

Zoanthid mutation??

I found this on my zoanthid colony. What the heck is it?
  19. CMG

Fungia Feeding and Info

Hello, I bought one of my first two corals which is a fungia and my book says while they do live on light from their zooxanthias (bad spelling) they need carbon which comes from food. It says what to feed but not how often, so my main question is how often. I gave it a piece of Formula one 2...
  20. CMG

Clown Goby Melting- Please Help!

I woke up and found my clown goby like this, it appears to be shedding its tissue in varous places. Bad pic, sorry, I will try for another closer one after work: I did a water change on sat. Testing from yesterday: Calcium 420-440 ppm Nitrite 0 Nitrate 0 Salinity 1.026 PH 8.3 Alk 5.5