Tek T5 Modification Question

CMG

So I built a hood last sat. for my tank and I have a 36" Tek T5 light fixture. Originally I was just going to screw in two hooks to the inside hood of the canopy and hang the light from that (the light comes with eyelets on the top for this).

I am wondering if it would be better to just take the light apart and attach the reflector and lights directly to the canopy. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks!

BarbMazz

Yes! I do! I have Sunlight Supply Tek 6x39w retrofits mounted into my wooden canopy. I'm not sure about dis-assembling a light fixture to do this, but I can help with mounting the stuff into the canopy.

Mine was very easy to do, but it's important to measure very carefully. Especially the distance between the bulb sockets. The bulbs have to fit tightly between the sockets, so that the pins go all the way into them. If those are a loose fit it's not good.

I have some pictures in my chronicle of my light build. Take a look and let me know if you have any questions.
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/386170-post83.html

CMG

Thanks barb, I think that I am just going to take it apart and see how complicated the "guts" look, but before I did that I just wanted to see if anyone would think this was a bad idea from past experience.