New Flame Angelfish

CMG

Hello,

I got a flame angelfish on sunday. Gave him/her a freshwater dip as descirbed in the sticky but it only lasted 10 minutes as I freaked out and thought he wasnt going to make it. It was totaly fine 2 minutes later in the QT tank. Seems to be happy ever since. Really friendly little guy.

I have 3 questions:

1) Should I attempt another freshwater bath for the entire 30 minutes?

2) It has a small white gash or gouge on its head. Really small. Most of the ones at the LFS did. I cannot get a pic as it constantly swims. Any ideas? Perhaps just some anti bacterial medication?

3) I cant get it to eat directly from me. It picks at the piece of LR in the QT tank which has no food on it and also at the bottom of the tank. I tried a clip with nori soaked in garlic and also some pygmy angelfish food soaked in garlic. I think since its wild caught it doesnt understand how to eat from the water column vs. off the rock. It seems to be eating the food when it eventually settles on the bottom of the tank but by then its so small I cant tell if hes really eating it. Any suggestions?

Thank you!

vdituri

Like you said, it may be wild caught and still is doing the grazing behavior.
Try rubberbanding the nori to the live rock. It may help.

CMG

Well I hope he eats soon. I rubber banded nori to the rock and a few hours later he still hadnt touched it. I soaked it in garlic too. I also soaked some frozen food for him in garlic and smooshed it into some hole in the rock so he could nibble on it but still nothing. I will keep trying!

vdituri

Hmmm. I posted in your other thread. Try a piece of nori that isn't soaked in garlic. It may not "smell" right to him if he is wild caught. Do you have any spirulina flakes? You may try that.
Hope he eats for you.

CMG

I think I will try and buy some flakes tomorrow just to have on hand for any occasion, especially when I leave and someone else feeds because I use frozen food and thats a little too much trouble for some people.

He ate frozen mysis today so it was a relief for me to see with my own eyes that he is eating. Thanks for the help!