Reptile Pad vs. Aquarium Heater

CMG

Has anyone used a reptile heating pad on a nano tank? I am working on a 12x12x12 nano and I wanted it to look really clean (no wires) so I was thinking of slapping a heat pad underneath the tank on the stand.

I have done a lot of research on the internet and have only found a picture of one person doing it on another forum but I thought maybe someone had tried it here. My 2 main concerns are controlling the temp and cracking the glass from too much heat.

I will be experimenting with this option during the cycling process once I get the tank which is on backorder. Thanks for any suggestions, experiences, etc!!!

DaveK

Well, a 12x12x12 cube is going to weigh over 60 pounds with just water, figure another 10 pounds for rocks, sand, and the tank itself. I'm not sure I'd want that amount of weight on a reptile heating pad. In addition, if the heating pad goes bad on you, how will you replace it, without draining the tank?

Personally, I'd go with either a cable heating system in the sand, or a conventional heater. In a few months it'd going to get covered in coraline algae anyway, and it's easy to hide behind some rocks.

CMG

Gooood point about the weight. I was trying to think of a way to raise the tank a bit maybe under the four corners and the center....just thinking about it.

Most likely I will end up pushing the tank almost all the way up against a all on my counter and then place the heating pad on that "back" side of the tank. That way it can be replaced and doesn't have weight on it. I saw someone use one on a pico tank but thats obviously a lot lighter than my tank...

Emma

I don't have hardly any saltwater experience yet. But I worked in a pet store for five years taking care of reptiles. The heating pads are really not that effective for raising the temperature. I'd be surprised if you noticed more than a 2-3 F degree difference in something that size.

Emma

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
CMG I'd say there are several GOOD reasons why no one is doing this. I'd go with what's tried and true and keep it simple :)