Zoanthid mutation??

CMG

I found this on my zoanthid colony. What the heck is it?

IMG_0643.jpg

IMG_0642.jpg

IMG_0641.jpg

vdituri

Mutant.
Yeppers.

Looks like a harmless sponge. Aka Pineapple sponge. :bluenod:
Repeat harmless. Usually in a LOW flow area.
What kind of circulation do you have in your tank?

BoomerD

I think Al has it right...Alien sponges...harmless however, EXCEPT that they can crowd other life of the rock, and take over...

rlcline76

I've seen those in a FUGE before. What they REALLY are is

:alien: :alien: :alien:

Great, I've seen those in my tank...will have to get my aluminum foil cap back out just in case they are trying to read my mind.

I agree will BoomerD...harmless, but is probably irritating those zoas. Should be easily plucked!

Wolfgang8810

i have them all ove the back chamber of my tank. im thinking about adding a mixijet in the back to get a little more flow.

CMG

So seeing as how sponges are harmless and perhaps even beneficial could I pluck it with tweezers and put it else-where? Or would plucking involve killing?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
So seeing as how sponges are harmless and perhaps even beneficial could I pluck it with tweezers and put it else-where? Or would plucking involve killing?

It's a gamble but one worth taking. Like Lynn said keep them 100% submerged or it's 100% a goner or at least CLOSE to 100%. It may not like the flow where you place it but hey you've got nothing to lose :)

SubRosa

That is not a sponge,but a tunicate.Notice how it has two siphons,an incurrent and an excurrent.Totally harmless.

John

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
That is not a sponge,but a tunicate.Notice how it has two siphons,an incurrent and an excurrent.Totally harmless.

John
John I'm thinking it's more than ONE Pineapple sponge. I could be wrong but I thought like you at first but I'm more than half convinced it is 2 pineapples!!

Wolfgang8810

it is two pinapples not that i really look at it. i dont think even two tunicates would be as big as a zoe the size he has.

SubRosa

John I'm thinking it's more than ONE Pineapple sponge. I could be wrong but I thought like you at first but I'm more than half convinced it is 2 pineapples!!

It could be....I didn't think of it as two separate organisms but it could be.

John

CMG

Well whatever it is I ended up pulling it off with some tweezers so it wont bother the zoanthids.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Well I settle it :) It is two pinneapple sponges, a Scypha Sponge. Ascidians do NOT have frilled tops and that is a spiculate frilled top.

SC0006.jpg

scypha.jpg

calcisponge.jpg

sponge03.jpg