Adding Magnesium

CMG

Hello,

I finaly tested for magnesium which I hadnt been doing. According to the test I dont have any at all...? Its a salifert test and I have done it 3 times. The way it works is you use this equation (1-test result)x1500. Well in order to get a "good" mg level you have to obviously get under a number 1 to plug into the equation and I am getting a 1.75 which gives me negative mg..

So I have been reading about addatives and it seems epsom salt works well and can be found in the pharmacy? I am just wondering what most people are using for a mg addative and if this is the best way to go. Thank you.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
I use only the salifert kit and Im sorry to say nothing your relaying makes any sense to me at all. to get a 1.75 on the syringe is impossible as it only holds 1 ml, I "think" your reading is .175 and that would be about 1250 and that is a fine level

JWarren

As Sas pointed out, makes more since that your level is actually 1250. I use the Salifert test as well.

I get mine at Walgreens here in Florida. You want to make sure it is pharm. grade used as a laxitive. I have not run into any problems using epsom salts to maintain my Mg levels.

1250 is pretty good without dosing though.

CMG

Hahahahha, wow I am an idiot. You guys are probably correct. I totaly had a brain fart on that! Reading those directions and doing crack at the same time is bad...just kiding. Thanks for clearing that up. :smck: Who feels like an idiot :eek:verhere: me me me

Ok, looks like I dont need to dose!

Triggerjay

As Sas pointed out, makes more since that your level is actually 1250. I use the Salifert test as well.

I get mine at Walgreens here in Florida. You want to make sure it is pharm. grade used as a laxitive. I have not run into any problems using epsom salts to maintain my Mg levels.

1250 is pretty good without dosing though.

Not to hijack, but how exactly do you dose the epsom salts? anyone have a good link? Thanks

Jason

CMG

I was wondering the same thing. I read that you need to mix it not only with some water but with another chemical like magnesium hydroxate or something then put it in the sump......let me find that link....

JWarren

I use three level tablespoons mixed into one cup of RO/DI in my 55 and the level stays around 1350. Mine usually drops to about 1150 before adding.

JWarren

Doni,

That's the Mg mix I was wanting make as well but couldn't find any MgCl. Great link! Thanks for posting it!

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
You're welcome~ :)

An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Scroll down to the directions for Part 3. I use the Part 3A for all magnesium supplementing. It is a combination of 3 cups Epsom Salts (magnesium sulfate) and 5 cups magnesium chloride, add enough fw to make 1 gallon of liquid, and shake, shake, shake.
I get both ingredients from Bulk Reef Supply - Bulk Reef Supply

Use the Chemistry calculator to determine how much to add: 'Reef Chemistry Calculator FV'
There is an option in the "Pick a Product" for plain Epsom salts.

CMG

I use three level tablespoons mixed into one cup of RO/DI in my 55 and the level stays around 1350. Mine usually drops to about 1150 before adding.

Of what? The epsom salt? In the pharmacy is it in a pill that you have to pop open or just in a container?

JWarren

Yeah epsom salt. It is a course salt, almost like rock salt. Apothecary epsom salt (magneium sulphate U.S.P.) comes in a 3 pound container that looks like a quart size milk box.

JWarren

Just make sure it is not scented like lavender or anything.

I will making some of the solution that Doni posted a link to in the near future. But the epsom salts will help keep the levels up in the mean time, but if you are at 1250, you are not low at all.

CMG

I think I am lower than 1250 because (1-.175)= .825 and .825 x 1500 = 1237.5 so I think thats low isnt it? I dont know.

CMG

Well if I cant even read the darn syringe correctly then how do you expect me to do a calculation correctly!!! :LOL:

JWarren

Just the way you are adding it up. I don't know maybe I forgot something about the kit or I am thinking of how another kit works or they changedhow the kit works and i got an old one. :)

I won't get beck to the office until 3:30 am my time though.