Vehicle LED's

CMG

Hey all,

I was driving along today and saw one of the newer audi's driving the other direction. They have the LED headlights along the bottom of the lgiht that make a little "wave" and a thought came to mind:

"Could one use the LED's from a vehicle to light their tank?"

The reason I ask this is because I would think if you could get to a junk yard or a pick 'n' pull yard you could get some LED's off of a wrecked car for cheap. But would they be bright enough? Then you could just cut the wiring off and attach them to a fixture with some fans and not have to know how to soder or anything technical like that.

Just wanted to see what other people think. I am not going to do this as I already bought some PowerBrights but I figured it might lead to an interesting discussion?? :spinner:

Ive never seen headlights that use LEDs to illuminate the road. ive only seen them more as accent lighting.

Either way, it could work. Providing the leds are of decent wattage and lumens.
I think you would probably have to re-wire them all anyways. And to find enough auto headlight leds in the scrap yard to illuminate your tank would be quite an undertaking. unless its a pico

Val

Most LED lights are made on circuit boards they are soldered in. I did take a look at our LED wholesaler site and they do have high output LEDs but they are only 1 watt and these LEDs are not in use in any vehicle lights at this time.