Is my plate coral dead?

CMG

My plate coral had two rocks drop on it some weeks ago. It did ok for a few days but now only a small portion of it puffs up at night. The tenticles still come out as if trying to catch food but it wont eat any food I give it. I assume this means its dead? I dont know??? Anyone know how to tell if t is dead and if so do I just trash it or how does that work? I really dont want to get rid of it if I am not sure its 100% dead. Thank you.
IMG_0708.jpg

IMG_0712.jpg

IMG_0709.jpg

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
It appears to have healthy flesh on the skeleton in the photo. If the tentacles are coming out, then it's not dead. These corals tend to die slowly, unless it's some kind of RTN event. I would keep an eye on it. Perhaps it is just healing from the recent trauma or it's not hungry. I have also heard that when these corals are stressed or dying, often they will send off babies around their periphery.

aquaman3680

How often are you feeding it?

This could actually be a major problem as if you feed it too much it has no reason to puff up, essentially over feeding it. I would probably stop feeding it for awhile. You should only feed it 1-2 times a week. But it is certainly still alive!

Matt

CMG

I was only feeding it once a week but maybe it was too much food plus the rock falling on it?

CMG

Here is a little update....not looking so good. It started to turn white in one area???

IMG_0724.jpg

IMG_0723.jpg

mps9506

Definetly took a turn for the worse. Looks like it lost it's flesh where the white areas are. Not just bleaching, but tissue loss. These guys seem particularly sensitive to tissue damage, and it appears that probably caused some major problems.

CMG

I would agree, doesnt seem good at all. I think it has been dying very slowly for the last few weeks.

I read online (not that everything I read online is true) that when they do finally kapoot not to take them out of the tank because as mentioned in an above post they make babies when dying and they may soon become aparent. I dont have the link right now.

msbdiving

I placed mine specifically so nothing could fall on it after reading your thread. Sorry for your loss. Hopefully the babies will come soon. I am currently nursing a candycane back to health after it fell into my frogspawn.

CMG

I placed mine specifically so nothing could fall on it after reading your thread. Sorry for your loss. Hopefully the babies will come soon. I am currently nursing a candycane back to health after it fell into my frogspawn.

Thank you. I am glad I could indirectly help! haha. I fell silly because I was scrubbing a rock with a toothbrush and a syphon hose to get some hair algae off and whamo, it fell on the plate coral. It was puffed up at the time too so I know it got the flesh really good.

phishrule

i also have plate in bad shape, should i worry about carcus giving me water problems?part of it still inflates . i heard clowns can tear their fleshy tentacles ?/?
29G,65wActinic,65w10000k,lunars.,ac110,2 maroon clowns,2cleaner shrimp,2 emerald crabs,serpant star,ss star,wheeler goby,2dz snails,some zoa,favia,xenia15lbs. lr, ls