Chiller operation question?

CMG

Ok, if you are pumping water into the chiller and then it turns off what happens to the water that is still in the rubber tubing and inside the chiller? Wont it get all nasty and stuff just sitting in there?

Also, coudnt you put a smaller pump than necessary on a chiller since that would allow the water more time inside the chiller to be chilled?

vdituri

If your chiller runs regularly it should be moving the water often enough that it shouldn't get nasty. I don't have flow thru chiller so I can't say for certain.

Isn't the chiller rated for a "specific" pump flow?

prow

Ok, if you are pumping water into the chiller and then it turns off what happens to the water that is still in the rubber tubing and inside the chiller?
the pump should keep going all the time. many use their return pumps to pump through the chiller before going to the main tank. others keep the chiller on a it own closed loop in the sump. then there are those like me, i opt for two return pumps one for the chiller. any way you do it the pump stays on as does the chiller. the pump contiues to pump water through the chiller which monitors the temp. most chiller have a 2 degree range. you set the chiller at a certain temp, say 80, the condenser turns on(starts to chill) when the temp hits 81 then turns off the condenser once the water temp reaches 79. its only the condenser that goes on and off.

Wont it get all nasty and stuff just sitting in there?
lol, yup if it was to just there that is:)

Also, coudnt you put a smaller pump than necessary on a chiller since that would allow the water more time inside the chiller to be chilled?
like said the water could freeze. also i find my chiller works better when i use a pump that is closer to the high end of my chillers GPH range.

CMG

OOOHHHHHH. I had the totaly wrong idea about this. I thought a chiller only came on when the tank got too hot. For example, I have an aqua controller jr. and it keeps my temp at 78F so if it goes below that it turns the heater on then if it goes up it turns the heater off then the fans come on at a specific temp and the lights start to turn off when it still gets more hot, so I wanted the chiller to eventually come on too but I guess it is just supposed to run the whole time. Sounds like a pain in the a....

prow

no not a pain at all. just plug it in and hook up a pump and forget about it. you can also hook it up to the controller as well. i do that. but the pump still runs always. i have the controller turn the chiller on and off as a back up incase the chiller sitcks or something. one thing about this though is you will need a high amp outlet addition. most controller outlets only handle 5amps. most chiller start up at that or above. IMO best to have it on its own outlet to the wall, unless you get a heavy duty plug for the controller.

CMG

no not a pain at all. just plug it in and hook up a pump and forget about it. you can also hook it up to the controller as well. i do that. but the pump still runs always. i have the controller turn the chiller on and off as a back up incase the chiller sitcks or something. one thing about this though is you will need a high amp outlet addition. most controller outlets only handle 5amps. most chiller start up at that or above. IMO best to have it on its own outlet to the wall, unless you get a heavy duty plug for the controller.

So I can have the pump running water through it at all times but the chiller itself doesnt have to be on? It can only come on when the controller tells it to? Thanks for your explinations! Because I sure :dunno:

tbittner

Yes, the pump should be pumping water through the chiller at all times. The chiller will turn on it's condensor when it needs to chill the water that is constantly flowing through it.