Search results

1. aqujoe247

in-wall vs on-stand

I'm not to swift with the charts, but if you had the choice which would you rather have? If anyone has a in-wall tank, what's the cons for having a in-wall tank?
  2. aqujoe247

breaking down tank

I am moving from my condo into a house. And the is a chance I will have to move the tank into the house, then move it from it's place to tile underneath, then back when i'm finished and possibly again when changing stands. Instead i'm going to sell my clownfish, lawnmower blenny, starburst...
  3. aqujoe247

early outbreak

Starting to get diatoms on the sand and P/H flow nozzles. I believe its from the L/R that I added, which had been cooking for 3 mos., but there was alot of die-off I couldn't scrub off. How bad of a cycleis my tank is going through? I put a phosphate remover sheet even though it tested-0.
  4. aqujoe247

new skimmer

I have installed my new skimmer(PCI 220, same as the Coralife 220) as an HOT, i'm getting alot of microbubbles from it and the pump and the return are baulky. As soon as I rob my lil bro of his 37g FW I will be using it as a sump, so the skimmer will be hidden and hopefully the bubbles will be...
  5. aqujoe247

fuge vs 38h

As of now I have a store bought fuge with 3 sections, the two outers being just wide enough to fit a return pump into them and the middle having miracle mud and LR. I have a 38H that I can fit under my stand and have enough room for LR and an insump skimmer. I wouldn't plan on sectioning it...
  6. aqujoe247

S.o.s!

Its been 2 days since I switched everything from my 55 to my 90 and my corals still hadnt open up. :bouncebox When I got home from work both my Xenia look almost gone (just the base of them), my starburst are completely closed and the leather looks like its dying. Also all me snell are dead...
  7. aqujoe247

powerheads

I'm switching my reef from my 55g to my 90g that has been empty for a couple of months, to open up the room while trying to sell my condo. Since I wont be putting the sump back into the system, i'm trying to find the best powerhead setup for the price. I have 2 MJ 1200 in action now, so I'm...
  8. aqujoe247

90g plumbing

I am thinking of using a spraybar on the CLS, my question is do I have to use a overflow box on a CLS? I already have one overflow box going to a 55g sump. Since the tank is glass and i'm not sure I can drill into it I was hoping that I could just run PVC from over the rim of the tank to a...
  9. aqujoe247

New Addition

Happy Easter everyone, here's some pics of the new corals, gifts from my dad. http://www.geocities.com/aquajoe247/mushrooms.JPG http://www.geocities.com/aquajoe247/leathercoral.JPG
  10. aqujoe247

Siphon breaking

I woke up this morning to find the siphon on my 55g had stopped draining to my 10g refugium. I started the siphon back, I came home to the same problem happened. I not sure of the Overflow box brand, but it has the U-tube. Anyone ever experienced this?
  11. aqujoe247

VHO vs. PC

My tank is 24" deep, and it will house only soft corals for now. I have a choice of a 265wt Orbit PC or I can run 460wts of VHO (T-5 bulbs). Which would be suitable for mushrooms on the sandbed?
  12. aqujoe247

Ludacris Levels

Walking in from work I noticed my xenia or colony polyps hadn't opened yet. The actinic lights come on about 1.5 hours and Daylights about .5 hour before I come home and they're usually wide awake when I walk in. The temp. seemed to be the highest since I set the tank up 81.2. I just spent...
  13. aqujoe247

Upgrading Stages

Looking to upgrade from my current 55g to a 86g w/ 55g sump. This a pic of the current set-up. This is the tank that will converted to the reef tank Here is a shot of some LR that was given to me by my dad for the upgrade. I am in the process of sketching the stand and...
  14. aqujoe247

MACRO vs XENIA

I have read several threads on this site and others saying that Xenia absorbs more nitrates and phosphates than any macroalgea known. Does anyone know if this is true. Granted my 55g is only 2mo. old, I have to nice size Xenia stouts and if this is true why do I have browning sand (which I...
  15. aqujoe247

90g show + 90g sump

BACKGROUND: I started out having a 10 FOWLR for about a year, was given a 20 long, from there bought a 55g for a good price. Some may say i'm indecisive, I just say i've been blessed by the Aqua Gods:bouncer: . I have been given the ok from the wife to turn my 90 FW into a reef tank:thumbup...
  16. aqujoe247

questionable LR

I've been nursing a tank neglected by my father, and have come to the conclusion that it's not worth it. I've decided to break it down, throw away the saturated LS but the LR i'm considering putting in my own tank. The problem is HIS tank is continually going through algea blooms due to a...
  17. aqujoe247

plumbing layout

I've been reading in the knowledgebase and I have been planning to add my sump into my system for more water volume. Seeing that I value everyone's opinion I figured I better check with you before the purchase. Please let me know what your think.
  18. aqujoe247

Skimmer Choice

Which skimmer would you prefer to have on a moderate budget? What are the determining factors of choosing a skimmer?
  19. aqujoe247

Plumbing question

I have a glass 55 gallon tank with an hob overflow box, I was reading that a tank should have atleast two drain lines to the sump/refugium. I don't have the room for two overflow boxes, do I really need them to drain the tank? Can I use PVC to drain the main tank to the sump or some other...
  20. aqujoe247

Asking For Trouble?

I'm having my first algea(diatom) bloom after 7 wks, which I know is normal. Its just a dusty film on the glass and small portion of the sand. I think I may have asked for this seeing as I accepted 30# LR covered in hair algea from my dad who was breaking down a neglected tank. To make...