90g show + 90g sump

aqujoe247

BACKGROUND: I started out having a 10 FOWLR for about a year, was given a 20 long, from there bought a 55g for a good price. Some may say i'm indecisive, I just say i've been blessed by the Aqua Gods:bouncer: . I have been given the ok from the wife to turn my 90 FW into a reef tank:thumbup: , I also came across a 90g for cheap that I will use as a sump. I plan on getting one of the two drilled to use as the show tank and the other will be divided into 3 sections: inlet/skimmer, fuge, and return.

My question is when I buy my knew skimmer, does it need to be for an 180g or an 90g? I am mapping out the set-up and will post the ideas soon. This will be the first tank I do any DIY on, so let's hope for the best.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Congrats on your new upgrade!! Gotta love a reef accepting spouse! ;)

Get a skimmer to match the volume of water... I don't think you'll completely fill the 90 sump so you could guesstimate on about 135 gal. I would recommend one of the ASM skimmers. I want to get a G3 for my 90 gal... when I get a bigger sump...

addict

LOL! :D

No, G3! ;)

Sounds great Joe! :thumbup:

I'm sure you'll do fine on the DIY... it's not as hard as it sounds, and if you do a bit of research on tips/techniques beforehand, it gets even easier. :)

And I'm a 'measure once, cut twice' type of guy... LOL! :D

Witfull

dual 90 displays,,,,built a cheap sump....did you see mine? 50$ tuffbox tool box,..a few bulkheads and whalaa...

aqujoe247

Since I need a dedicated line for my 90g outlet to run my Ice Cap 660, and don't have an attic to run the line (as I live in a condo), I will be using the 260 wt. PC that's on my 55g now. I didn't think it would be enough light to penetrate to the sand, but I measured both tanks and they are the same height, but the FW is 6in wider:confused: . I always thought a 90g was taller.

Which makes me think that I may a 75g. The tank was given to me by my dad, and I just took his word for it. Do you think this light will work, or should I just stick with the 55g for now?

aqujoe247

Wit, just scope out your thread on building your 210 and now i'm depressed, my lil 90gal. set seems so:stars: simple minded.
What a masterpiece! :thumbup: I will post the sketches I have of the set-up soon.

aqujoe247

Here is a shot of the present setup, center tank is FW, on a DIY stand and canopy. Hopefully the new stand for it will come out alot better. The windows are being replaced and tinted with double limo tint before the tank will be set up.

room1.JPG

This room is in the process of being remodeled into an aquarium room, DIY project in it self. Just added flooring and ceiling fan that will be running on low 24/7 hopefully keeps the air a lil cooler.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
That's a great lookin room Joe, now all you need is a recliner and a small fridge with some beer and you're all set :clink:

Thanks Rob, do you think it's short enough for the 260 watt PC

It really depends on what you want to keep softies and LPS if placed towards the surface should be fine IMO.

aqujoe247

That would nice, but the room is only 13 x9. Since my condo is only 1200sq ft., there's always a chair and a beer near.:thumbup:
I'm planning on building a bench to match stand, and place it where the 55g is now. It will have casters on it so I can pull it up and have a frontrow seat to the action going on in the tank.

That's what I was hoping, I have xenia and colony polyps growing on the sand in my 55 on that lighting, so I figured the light being 2" higher should still penetrate well.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
That's what I was hoping, I have xenia and colony polyps growing on the sand in my 55 on that lighting, so I figured the light being 2" higher should still penetrate well.

It should be ok just keep a close eye on it, if it's not doing well there you can always place it towards the middle or top of the tank.

Witfull

looking great. get a comfy executive desk chair,,,you can roll it around easily out of the way and also relax in comfort (with a beer~)

slb11106

that is going to be a awsome room....

please keep the pics comming as you get it completed.

i thought i was getting into this hobby to have a tank with some fish...4 months later i am obsessed with it....this hobby is an addiction :thumbup: :whstlr:

keep up the good work, did you ever join the local group ?