Plumbing question

aqujoe247

I have a glass 55 gallon tank with an hob overflow box, I was reading that a tank should have atleast two drain lines to the sump/refugium. I don't have the room for two overflow boxes, do I really need them to drain the tank?

Can I use PVC to drain the main tank to the sump or some other type of method of draining?

I would like to have one drain to the sump and another to the refugium, then have a return from each one?

wickjr

I have the same problem, lack of space. I am setting up a sump/refugium also, and am only using one overflow. From what I understand, ther are two main reasons for two overflows. The first is so that you skim the water surface more efficiently, since both sides of the tank are running into overflows. The second is to help avoid a flood. If one overflow clogs, the second will operate, allowing the water into the tank to continue flowing out, as opposed to overfilling and a big mess. Make sure to use some sort of grate, like eggcrate or something to prevent snails, fish, whatever from getting into the overflow and clogging it.
PVC pipe is fine for the plumbing. Also, depending on what you are using for the sump, you could put the sump and refugium together and avoid the need for two pumps. http://www.podzilla.us/drewsfugue.html. This is the example of a sump/refuge that I am building from. I may alter it a bit, but it's a good example.

ReefLady

Staff member
Lots of people run one overflow box... keep an aye on it, make sure it doesn't get clogged, and you should be fine. ;)

T

BoomerD

I ran my 90 for several years on a single LifeReef overflow with no problems. I see no reason that you would NEED a 2nd one for a 55. Will it improve the flow? Yes, but it's NOT a MUST have.

aqujoe247

thanks for the responses, I live in a condo and wouldn't want the flood thing happening. I may stick with just the single overflow box, and just look for ways to lessen the flood chances.

So there's basically no other way to get water from the main tank to the sump without having the overflow box, right?

Stevenmi

Depending on the current overflow design you "could" DIY a dual tube from the single overflow or just mod and make a larger return bulkhead/tube.

Steve

BoomerD

If you use a well designed overflow, and keep it maintained and clean, you should have NO problem. I've used LifeReef overflows for many years, and I've never heard of one failing...ever, BUT, you have to do the normal maintenance for ALL your equipment, to avoid untimely failures. Pumps need to be cleaned periodically, if you use them, sponges need to be cleaned, etc...