breaking down tank

aqujoe247

I am moving from my condo into a house. And the is a chance I will have to move the tank into the house, then move it from it's place to tile underneath, then back when i'm finished and possibly again when changing stands. Instead i'm going to sell my clownfish, lawnmower blenny, starburst polyps and mushrooms to the LFS. The LS I will throw away.

Any ideas on storing the LR? I was planning on a 55g rubbermaid tub filled with water, I know the LR will die off but I think it's better then buying it all over again.

I'm hoping to learn alot more between now and when I set up the tank again, and not rush the process the second time around.

thanks for all the help.:thumbup:

Witfull

now is a good time to cook the rock. heated water, circulation, and darkness. biological tugor will force the nasties in the rock out, and make it better than before~

Cougra

I agree with Dave, cooking the rock can be a good thing. Make sure you keep an eye on the water quality as well because all that debris being ejected from the rock is nasty stuff. If possible continue doing regular water changes in the tub to remove as much of the mulm/detritus as possible.

aqujoe247

Can you overcook LR? Will storing it for too long of a time cause other unwanted growth on it? It may be a month before the move is there anything I should do to prepare for it? Thanks Wit & Coug.

Charlie97L

i cooked 30lbs of live rock for about 3 months. it was pretty gross until we had a 2 week long heatwave of 100+ temps. my tub was enclosed, outside, on my shaded patio. i had a powerhead and heater in it. did water changes every 2 weeks. now all the nasty smell is gone and it's clean and beautiful. :) ready for my... non-existent tank. :)

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I cooked 50-80# of rock for 2-3 months. It really does purge the grunge out of the rock! It is important to do water changes on it! The grunge that will settle in the bottom will seriously shock you! Keep an eye on evaporation too... maybe top off once a week or so.

dan_the_man78

Could you explain how to "cook" the rock (temp, salt or fresh water, ect). Does this kill off everything left in the rock? Once it is well done, can you put it directly into your tank? Anything else we need to know?
Thanks,
DANNY

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Cooking Rock

Cooking = normal temp, normal salinity, normal flow, but NO lights.

No cooking and curing are two separate things. Cooking live rock is just a term we used way back when. Live rock is biologically set up pretty much the same way as a sand bed, is just in the form of the solid mass with no bottom or top. Live rock is susceptible to absorbing nutrients and organics the same way as sand beds due. The one difference however is that live rock does not have a top or bottom.
Through bacterial action (tugor) the detritus and organics will actually shed from the rock itself. This happens as bacteria populates, dies, and produces enzymes to reduce various elements within the rock. The result is a pushing action from the depths outward. In a normal tank environment the organics/detritus that is shed is either consumed by bacteria/detritus/algae on the surface of the rock. In the concept of cooking the rock the same actions apply with the exception that no light is allowed to hit the rock. This will take the algae out of the equation for fixing and using the detritus/organics that is being shed.
If you put the live rock into a dark bucket, keeping the flow and the temperature the same but eliminating any light source, the detritus/organics will shed from the rock and collect on the bottom of the bucket. From there it can be easily removed. What we have to understand is that when it comes to either the live rock or the use of live sand is very rarely do that either or both combined can keep up with the amount to of stuff we throw in our tanks (being a closed system). The result from this is that both become overlaidened with detritus and organics of various forms. Cooking live rock is a way of allowing them to catch up from the years of being behind. There is no preset amount of time on this process, it's just basically the longer the better. If you keep an eye on the amount of detritus coming-out of the rock and settling on the bottom of the tub you'll get a good feel for when it is not shedding any more.
Mike

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Cooking Rock

Cooking Rock
Bomber wrote
Back to square one.

You have to establish the different layers of bacteria in order to accomplish what you're trying to do.

You have to have the anaerobic (no o2) area and bacteria in the middle to eat the organics that will be found there chemically bound to the calcium carbonate.

You have to have the aerobic (has O2) area and bacteria on top of that to consume the left overs that the anaerobic bacteria produce and continue to move it to the surface of the rock.

Get you a big enough tub to hold all the rock. Put a power head in it to keep it aerated and let it sit until it's cleaned up in the dark. Dunk and swish it every now and then to remove detritus that would just break down and continue the cycle, and move them into new clean water and start again.

What you killed in the rock will release nutrients again. You're going to need the bacteria to move it out of the rock for you. By cleaning the tub and water they are in, you're forcing them to use more and more of the food in the rock - thus cleaning the rocks better and better.
But before I do I just want to say that Bomber instructed me how to do it several months ago and it works great. So it is his process that I am trying to make popular and cause fellow hobbyists a lot less heartache in the long term.
The purpose of "cooking" your rocks is to have tha bacteria consume all (or as much) organic material and PO4 stored on, and in, the rock as possible.

The first step to this is commitment.
You have to be willing to remove your rock from the tank.
It doesn't have to be all at once, but I feel if you are going to do this do it all. In stages if that is easier but make sure that all of it gets done.

The new environment you are creating for your rock is to take it from an algal driven to a bacterial driven system.
In order to this, the rock needs to be in total darkness to retard and eventually kill the algae's on the rock and to give the bacteria time to do the job.

So basically you need tubs to hold the rock.

Equipment needed.
1. Dedication.
2. Tubs to cook rock in. And an equal amount of tubs to hold the rock during waterchanges.
3. A few powerheads.
4. Plenty of buckets.
5. A smug feeling of superiority that you are taking it to "the next level."

Here are the steps, if you have any questions I will try my best to answer them. What I don't know I am sure Bomber can/will instruct.

1. Get into your head and accept the fact you will be making lots of salt water if you aren't lucky enough to have access to filtered NSW.
2. Explain to significant other what is going on so they don't flip out. This process can take up to 2 months. Prepare them in advance so he/she can mark it on the calendar and that they won't nag about it until that date arrives.
3. Setup a tub(s) where the rock is to be cooked. Garages are great for this.
4. Make up enough water to fill tub(s) about halfway and around 5-7 buckets about 60% full.
5. Remove all the rock you want to cook at this stage. (The rock can be removed piece by piece until you are done.) I suggest shutting off the circulation beforehand to minimize dust storms.
6. Take the first piece of rock and dunk it, swish it, very, very well in the first bucket. Then do it again in the 2nd bucket, then the third.
7. Place rock in the tub.
8. Repeat steps 6 & 7 to every piece of rock you want to cook at this time. The reason I suggested 5-7 buckets of water will be evident quickly...as the water quickly turnsq brown.
9. Place powerhead(s) in the tub and plug in. Position at least one powerhead so that it agitates the surface of the water pretty well. This is to keep the water oxygenated. You can use an air pump for additional oxygenation if you wish.
9. Cover the tub. Remember, we want total darkness.
10. Empty out buckets, restart circulation on main tank.
11. Wait.
12. During the first couple of weeks it is recommended to do a swishing and dunking of the rocks twice a week.
What this entails is to make up enough water to fill up those buckets and the tub the rock is in.
First, lay out your empty tub(s) and fill buckets the same as before.
Then, uncover tub with the rock in it. Take a rock and swish it in the tub it's in to knock any easy to get off junk.
Then, swish it thru the 3 buckets again, and place in the empty tub..
Repeat for all your rocks.
Then empty the tub that all the rocks were cooking in, take it outside and rinse it out with a hose.
Place tub back where it was, fill with new saltwater, add rocks and powerheads, and cover.
Wait again unti the next water change.
You will be utterly amazed at how much sand, silt, detrius is at the bottom of the tub and every bucket. It is amazing.

How it works:

Some FAQ's.
When re-introducing the rock to my tank, a month or two from now, should I do that in parts to help minimize any cycling effect(s)...if there are any?
I never have. Really after a very short while, the ammonium cycle has been extablished. That's not what you're worry about though, it's the stored phosphates and that you have to wait it out.
When they are producing very little detritus - you'll know - then I would use them all at once.

Would running Carbon filtration and/or a PO4 reducing media help/hurry/hinder the process?
I wouldn't fool with it. You don't want the detritus to sit there long enough to rot, release water soluble P again. You want to take it out while it's still locked up in that bacterial detritus.

I hope this helps you out.
It really is a "miracle" and a low cost one at that.
The only monies spent are for salt and electricity for the powerheads which are nominal. Especially to rid yourself of Bryopsis.
Time and effort is all it akes. And really not that much effort.
I would say that 85% of my exposed rock had Bryopsis (hair algae) covering it.
There isn't a single visible strand on andy rocks in the tubs now.
Remember, the key is patience. Let this process run its course.

And a few last minute tidbits I remembered.
Your coralline will die back, receed etc.
My thoughts on this are GREAT!
Now my rock is more porous for additional pods, mysids, worms etc.
Coralline will grow back.
Throughout this process the sponges, and pods on my rock have not died off.
Everytime I do a waterchange they are there and plentiful.