90g plumbing

aqujoe247

I am thinking of using a spraybar on the CLS, my question is do I have to use a overflow box on a CLS? I already have one overflow box going to a 55g sump.

Since the tank is glass and i'm not sure I can drill into it I was hoping that I could just run PVC from over the rim of the tank to a Mag12 and from there to the spraybar, I was thinking of how a HOT skimmer works. If this is done will the water just stay inline in the event of a power failure?

aqujoe247

Thanks Wit. A Mag12 should be able to run the CL at a 2ft head, with a spraybar and push 1000gph right?

I also want to use a Mag9.5 as a return from the sump with a 6ft head on a SCWD, to get about 350gph.

Little Luey

For the SCWD remember that it will also restrict your flow on the mag9.5, I guess the question is, why would you want to restrict the 9.5 to the point of only getting 350gph? why not utilize the hole power of this pump? if you want less gph I trade you my mag5 for the 9.5

mps9506

I don't really recomend the mag's for CLS systems. You want to use something designed to run external only. The Iwaki pumps in that range are pretty quiet.

aqujoe247

Thanks for the advice.
Luey, I was just guessing what I would end up with after a 6ft head and going through the SCWD. Also I was told the sump should only run about 4x the tank volume per hour.

MPS, Iwaki use alot of watts per hour, I will you an Quiet One 4000 which is uses 50 wph and should be 850 gph at 2ft head.

Charlie97L

You really want to base your CL on the type of livestock you plan to keep. If you're doing SPS, you're going to need a bit more than 850 gph.

aqujoe247

I plan on having low to medium flow/light soft corals. Right now I have 2 types of Xenia, mushrooms, starburst polyps, yellow colony polyps, and a leather coral. Will the flow rate be enough for these types of coral?

fidojoe

Fish Addict
Depending on what your overflow is rated at for a max, you might want to stay even lower than 350 gph. My AGA megaflow is rated at 600 gph max, but it gets pretty loud as the flow rate gets higher. I have my viaaqua 2600 (740gph @ 0' head) restricted back quite a bit to keep it quiet. I have probably 200-250gph through my sump.

aqujoe247

Thanks Joe, I think I have the overflow rated for 300gph, and it's pushing about 450-500gph, I had to add a piece of airtube down the drain to quiet the flushing sound.

I'm thnking of buying a 800-1000gph overflow to be on the safe side.