new skimmer

aqujoe247

I have installed my new skimmer(PCI 220, same as the Coralife 220) as an HOT, i'm getting alot of microbubbles from it and the pump and the return are baulky. As soon as I rob my lil bro of his 37g FW I will be using it as a sump, so the skimmer will be hidden and hopefully the bubbles will be gone.

Yarr

If u still get bubbles coming back through the return when u get a sump, add a few baffles. shoudl help the problem a lot. Browse through our DIY section for the many sumps that have been made.

lcstorc

Ours is in the sump, but recently when we had a micro-bubble issue it was solved by somplry turning the skimmer around so the water leaving the skimmer was farther from the return pipe.
Don't know if this can help you or not, but it did work here,

Snelly40

i did something similar to with my fuge, microbubbles will get better with time from a skimmer too once the slime builds up a bit

trigger1121

Ditto what Snelly40 said. I had a ton of bubbles at first with mine, but it calmed down after a few days.

On a side note, could you tell me where you got the PCI version? I'd like to get another one, and am wondering if it's cheaper than the C.S.S. version.

aqujoe247

I need to hurry up and put the sump in because the bubbles i'm getting in the display tank large and are starting to get trapped under LR and I thought this could do some damage.

I found it at the LFS, it was about $80 cheaper and looks to be exactly the same to me.

aqujoe247

The PCI 220 has been running for about 2 weeks now, yesterday it filled the tank with microbubbles to the point I cant see into the tank. I adjusted the water level, check the skimmer, restarted it and still have the problem. Anyone know solution to this skimmer?

lcstorc

Well oddly enough on my skimmer the answer was to turn it around. Once the part where the water comes out (I know nothing about plumbing or electrical so have no idea of names) was in the back of the sumo away from the line that goes to the pump and returns water to the tank, my micro bubbles went away.
Sorry for the very untechnical answer but in short try moving the skimmer to a different part of the sump. LOL
Hope that at least made some sense.

Sorry, forgot I already suggested this. Never mind,

Last edited:

aqujoe247

Thanks Lynn, we're on the same page with the technical terms. The problem is I have it HOT right now. I'm in the process of selling/buying houses so I don't want to add to the PITA of moving this. For now I guess I will let it run at night and while we're at work then unplug the skimmer when showing the house. Thanks again