Upgrading Stages

aqujoe247

Looking to upgrade from my current 55g to a 86g w/ 55g sump. This a pic of the current set-up.

IM000356.JPG

This is the tank that will converted to the reef tank

room1.JPG

Here is a shot of some LR that was given to me by my dad for the upgrade.

cooking.JPG

I am in the process of sketching the stand and plumbing. I will post it as soon as I am finished.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Hey Joe... don't ya think that skimmer is a bit of an overkill on that small tank?? :p

Hehehe... seriously, congrats on the upgrade!

aqujoe247

Thanks Wood,

I haven't heard much about Precision Marine, but I figure that it's better than the Seaclone on my 55g.

This LR has had hair algea for about 3 mo. I want to take every option to eliminate that before exposing it to my new set-up. It will probably take a month to build the sand and set it up, so that's the minimum the LR will be cooking.

addict

Heya Joe,
Your current tank looks great! :thumbup:

I'm sure it'll look even better when you get the new one set up.

One question... are those sun polyps to the upper right in the first photo? If so, they're non-photosynthetic, so you really don't have to have them so close to the light... they'd be just as happy on the sandbed. :)

You'll also have to target feed them every few days... I fed mine blender mix (shrimp, mysis, etc.) and they munch it down... I use a turkey baster to do the feeding... just puff the food around them when they're open and they'll grab it and start gobbling. :D

Last edited:

aqujoe247

Thanks for the support everyone. I keeps me motivated to do my best.

Dave, I was told they were colony polyps, when I first got them from my dad I used a turkey baster to feed them photoplakton, I haven't done that in about a month and they seem to multiply now more then before. I moved them to the sand bed after that pic about 3wks ago and they seem to open alot more.

addict

Heya Joe,
If those polyps are opening a lot, then they're huuuungry. :D
Try feeding them some meaty stuff, rather than phytoplankton, since normally in the wild they eat bits of stuff drifting around, and zooplankton (the 'animal' type of plankton, not 'plant', like phyto).

My luck with Sun Polyps wasn't that great... I hope yours is better. :)