MACRO vs XENIA

aqujoe247

I have read several threads on this site and others saying that Xenia absorbs more nitrates and phosphates than any macroalgea known. Does anyone know if this is true. Granted my 55g is only 2mo. old, I have to nice size Xenia stouts and if this is true why do I have browning sand (which I thought came from high phosphates)?

daveat

wow if i read that right they said the aiptasia can help too.... i think i like xenia and macros better.

mattie

RS Sponsor
IMO the xenia will pull more nutrients esp phosphates than macro algae such as calurpa. but the xenia will require more lighting than most people put in a refugium the get the greater benifits.
as for the color brown in algae if it is a light golden brown it is caused from silicates which is normal in a new tank about 2 mo's old. (diatoms) if it is a redish to blackish brown slimy velvety looking algae it would be something bad like cyanobacteria which looks like alage but is not.
if it is on the sand, suck out that sand with the algae on it.
cyanobacteria feeds on phospahtes which come from bad water(tap water) or from over feeding.
best thing would be to test the water for phosphates most lfs have this test available.

aqujoe247

Wats up Rob, good article. Thanks for the input, I figured i'd throw out there just to see if there's any truth to it.

Daveat, I don't know about the aiptasia, I wasn't very clear on the question.

Mattie, I figure it was the diatoms, golden brown, I removed it yesterday during a water change. I'll have to get a phosphate test today.