Skimmer Choice

aqujoe247

Which skimmer would you prefer to have on a moderate budget?

What are the determining factors of choosing a skimmer?

john

i would recomend the asm g series skimmer.great skimmer-every bit as good as the euroreef at a third of the cost!!

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
aqujoe247 do you have a sump ? If not then your limited to Hang On Tank skimmers and one of the best HOT skimmers is the AQUA-C Remora.

ScottT1980

If I were to setup another tank, I would not settle for anything less than an ASM (in sump) or Aqua-C Remora (Hang-on). I have learned from my mistakes. I spent $150+ modifying a $100 skimmer so that it could handle about half the waste of the above skimmers. Should have saved and bought the real McCoy up front...

Take er easy
Scott T.

aqujoe247

Cheeks,

I have a refugium and I have a wet/dry filter that I wanted to take the bioballs out of and cram with LR, whats the chances of this working?

The open area is 7 3/4w x 7 1/4L x 15 1/2 h. I'm not sure this is enough room for a nice skimmer to fit into so I would have the get a HOT model and just make do with it.

Is it better to just that a 10g tank and use it as a sump?

The situation is the stand that the 55g sits on is too short to fit anything other than the refugium under. So I am in the process of building a pedstal for the refugium and the sump to sit on, I want it tall enough so the Head on my return pumps are at a minimum and low enough that the collection cup on the skimmer can not be seen.

I am also thinking of running the refugium it's own return pump if I can somehow get the skimmer to pump from the sump and flow into the refugium, is this possible?

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I have a refugium and I have a wet/dry filter that I wanted to take the bioballs out of and cram with LR, whats the chances of this working?

That will work well, that's what I did.

The open area is 7 3/4w x 7 1/4L x 15 1/2 h. I'm not sure this is enough room for a nice skimmer to fit into so I would have the get a HOT model and just make do with it.

I have an aquamedic HOT skimmer and use it on my sump but it's about 21" tall but the aqua-c Remora is only 17.5" tall so it may work if not then building a pedestal is a good ideia.

mps9506

aqujoe247 said:
I am also thinking of running the refugium it's own return pump if I can somehow get the skimmer to pump from the sump and flow into the refugium, is this possible?

I would avoid this at all costs. You want the skimmer pump to power only the skimmer. You can put a T on your return lie and split the flow from your return, or split the flow from your tank drain into the refugium.

BTW, I pikced up a used Euro Reef for $210, way happier with this skimmer than any DIY skimmer I could make or modified berlin, excalibur, pro clear aquatics skimmer I ever used. Spend the money on a good skimmer (ASM, ER, beckett etc.) and you will be very happy with the money spent.

Icebox

I have both an ASM, and an Euro Reef. For the money I would go with the ASM. For better quality pieces and a cup that comes off easier, go with the ER. They are esentially the same design but the ASM is plastic where the ER is acrylic. Both have the same pump, supposedly a slightly different impeller on the ASM. Both work very well and are very easy to adjust though they hardly ever need it.

Anyway, I had a berlin from Red Sea and it did not come close to keeping up with either of these. I will get another ER or ASm if I ever get another.

i use the Aqua C Remora and i consider myself to be on a budget...i love this skimmer and when i had problems i contacted them and they sent me out a bunch of stuff to help! GREAT SKIMMER and GREAT COMPANY!

BoomerD

You can find the Remora/Remora Pro for sale used pretty often on the RC used equipment forums. The ASM and ER's too. Just be careful, as there are a lot of unscrupulous people out there who won't hesitate to rip you off, and either send you nothing, or send you broken junk for your $$$.

Kensn

I used a Berlin Classic for a long time before getting my EuroReef skimmer, no comparision on ease of use and skim mate produced. If an Eureef is out of reach get a ASM if you have room for it. I did get my EuroReef used, nut it had only been used for a month (just broke in). I could not tell it was used, and saved some money, just keep your eyes open for deals.....

Witfull

i used a berlin and it worked pretty darn good, they say to use a mag3 or 5 on it,,i threw a mag7 on it,,,it skiimmed!

mps9506

gussy said:
I use AquaC on all my tanks but I'm going to try out a Deltec sometime this year.

mmmmm....
My buddy has one of these. I can fit my head inside it :) (and I don't have a little head:)) The multiple recirc eheim pumps on it are schweet.
Definitaly out of my price range though.
And you really can't beat the customer support he received with that skimmer.

BoomerD

Deltecs...must be nice to be rich...Heck Gussy, get in touch with Greg65 on RC...he sells Bubble King skimmers, and is located in Pleasanton...Just be sure to bring your credit card, because those bad-boys aren't cheap...

Yarr

only advice i can really give on skimmers is this. dont skimp.. save and get a good one.. especially important to overskim if u are a heavy feeder. ( looks at woodstock) :)

I made this mistake and paid for it dearly.

oh.. and DONT get JEBO Hang-on skimmers.. they SUCK

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
LOL!!! Yeah, I do feed alot as Yarr mentioned :p I even upgraded my AquaC Remora pro skimmer's pump in an attempt to skim more; I also do large frequent water changes. My nitrAtes are 0 - 5 ppm so I am not complaining and my fish are very healthy :D

if you throw on a bigger pump on ur skimmer will it do that much of a difference? how do you know whether or not u can put a different pump on your skimmer?