questionable LR

aqujoe247

I've been nursing a tank neglected by my father, and have come to the conclusion that it's not worth it. I've decided to break it down, throw away the saturated LS but the LR i'm considering putting in my own tank. The problem is HIS tank is continually going through algea blooms due to a nitrate/phosphate saturated canister filter.

Seeing that my tank is only 8 weeks old, will it be stable enough to handle any of the toxins that may be infested the LR?

I have a 10g i'm planning to fill with new r/o and place the LR into after a nice scrub down. I will leave it in the tank for about a week, while testing the water.

BoomerD

Cook the rock for a few weeks before adding it, to get rid of any nuisance algaes, and allow the rock to shed some phosphates.

Simple procedure. Rubbermaid Brute trashcan, heater, couple of powerheads, and a decent skimmer. Usually takes 4-6 weeks.

aqujoe247

Thanks for the insight. This probably the reason i'm starting to brown sand, because I added a about of his rocks in my tank a few weeks ago before the tank really started showing signs of neglect. No wonder I can get my nitrates below 20!