Ludacris Levels

aqujoe247

Walking in from work I noticed my xenia or colony polyps hadn't opened yet. The actinic lights come on about 1.5 hours and Daylights about .5 hour before I come home and they're usually wide awake when I walk in. The temp. seemed to be the highest since I set the tank up 81.2.

I just spent the last hour doing test to find out what's going on.

CALCIUM:525
ALKALINITY: 250
PH:7.8-8.0
AMMONIA: 0-0.25
NITRITE: 0
NITRATE: 0-0.5
SALINITY: 1.027

The only thing I dose with is Purple Up, and haven't done it in about 3wks, trying to get the Cal. down. I only 2 xenias, fist-sized rock of starburst polyp, and a golfball-sized rock of colony polyps. The macro in the fuge died within a week of putting it in (a month ago) so there's not much to suck up the Cal., but doesn't the LR(80lbs) use alot of Cal.? I'm thinking this could be the reason i'm starting to get a diatom bloom on the sand at the front of the tank( other than lack of flow).

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Live rock does not use calcium. Encrusting algaes such as coralline and halimedia use lots of calcium as to clams, and sps corals. With the corals you have, you do not need to be dosing a calcium suplement. You can depend on water changes to replenish all minerals needed.

aqujoe247

So there isn't enough coralline algea to use up the calcium. Will the cause an algea bloom? should I do a water change soon? I have been doing them every other monday, which the next one would be on the 13th

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Joe your parameters are a bit off and the ammonia is a bit surprising. I would do a W/C just to be on the safe side and don't worry about the calcium level it'll slowly come down on it's own. You really don't have anything that's calcium demanding so I would stop dosing any supplements let the tank stabilize and once that happens then you can drip kalk daily to replace evaporated water. JMO

aqujoe247

Is there any chance that the change of temp. having to do with it? Going from 8.0-81.5 seem to be pushing it. Living in Florida temp will more than likely raise above this in mid-summer

Woodstock

RS STAFF
The temperature is not connected to the algae bloom, the ammonia, nor the high calcium level. I would get a second opinion on the ammonia test kit; see if your LFS will test it for you. If you have a sump, get a fan to blow across it. It will lower the water temp very fast...and it will evaporate more water.

As far as algae, make sure you are using ro/di water, skimming good, and not over feeding. Also add some phosban or rowaphos to help reduce the phosphates. What are your nitrAte readings?

aqujoe247

Wood,
I was saying temperature contributing to the corals not opening, because they haven't been exposed to that temp. since being in my tank.

I've used RO from the start, crap skimmer (seaclone150) I have a Precision Marine HOT but it's on a tank cooking LR, and I think I maybe slightly starving my fish trying not to contribute to the bloom. I will get phosban asap. My nitrates are at 0-0.25.

Little Luey

LUDAAAA!!
Sorry, I had to do that. When I saw the title I started thinking

"when I move you move--just like that"

ha, ha.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
aqujoe247 said:
Wood,
I was saying temperature contributing to the corals not opening, because they haven't been exposed to that temp. since being in my tank.

I do not think so Joe. My reef was as high as 84 deg one summer and the corals were expanded. Is the water flow too strong near the corals? Sometimes my LPS retract if they get blow too hard...

I have not been here in a while and thought I would try to help since I had a similar problem before having to sell my last tank. Here goes, my guess for the algae bloom would be phosphates which was my problem, I seriously doubt that temp. would have anything at all to do with this, my tank on occasion would get up around 83-84 I am almost for certain that phosphates contributed either solely or a great deal to the spike in NO3 (nitrates) and ammonia. Like others have stated your Ca is too high if you have only or mostly softies. I would check phosphates and if they are high get some Rowaphos from champion lighting or one of the other sponsors. Hope this is helpful.

aqujoe247

Tested my phosphates: 0-.25ppm, so the browning sand had to come from lack of flow through that area. I stuck a couple of PHs in for now until the transfer is done.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Toss in a bag of phosban to absorb those phosphates! I also use one in my 20 gal mixing container to be sure I do not add any to the tank...