Search results

1. J

Prep for heading out of town...

Hi everyone...I am heading out of town for 3-4 days this week and no one will be available to keep an eye on the tank. Is there anything I should do to prepare in advance? Thanks... JKT
  2. J

Tunze 9002

The pump died in the skimmer. I'm not finding any replacement pumps...does anyone know if they make them? I see the recirculation pump, but that's not the same thing. Thanks!!
  3. J

Tank upgrade?

Narrowed it down to three... Oceanic - reputation Deltec - cool all in one systems. Elos - design What say you?
  4. J

Cyano bloom

Seemingly over night...this morning, BOOM, there it is. I went to LFS for 8 gallons of salt for my 34g RSM, I have been doing about 25% water change a week for the past 3 weeks so I was already planning on this. Turkey bastered the rocks to get the funk suspended in the water column, vacuumed...
  5. J

What is this?

I can't take a pic cause it does not show up...but, crawling up my tank is about a 2inch long, about the width of a hair, white head, with brown and white bands...any ideas? Again, it has a white head, then brown, then white, then brown, etc...about 2 inches long, inching its' way up the...
  6. J

Cleaner shrimp

Put in a cleaner shrimp on Saturday, dig that dude by the way, anyway he spent all day being low key, yesterday I noticed he molted and when I tried to get the molted stuff out as soon as he saw my hand he went straight for it and jumped on my finger...is that normal? He is fascinated by my hand...
  7. J

Skimmer stopped working...??

My tunze 9002 is dead, and I've only had it a couple of months. This morning it was not working at all...it wasn't skimming hardly anything, so how long can I go without a skimmer, and are there any suggestions on a replacement? Honestly, i wasnt impressed with the quality of it, pretty flemsy...
  8. J

Considering a tank upgrade

I currently have an RSM130D, and considering something larger. I have about a 48" length wise space to work with...what manufacturers/brands would you guys recommend. And do you know if there are options such as a "kit" that comes with these? Thanks...Google search doesnt pull up too much...
  9. J

LFS Advice...

Just picked up some water for a wc later today...started talking about my tank, etc. Their advice was to remove most of my substrate so it's about an inch thick. I put in 40lbs of carib sea since im not doing live rock, im doing fake rock. So, do I have too much sand/substrate? They said that...
  10. J

JKT69's 130D

Figured I would go ahead and start this thread to chronicle the tank. Tank was re-born on June 5th...previously had been broken down and in storage for almost 2 years (long story). Upgraded to a Tunze 9002, the media basket (plan on running purigren and CPE), keeping the stock lights (for now)...
  11. J

Cycle question

Been cycling for 5 weeks, raw shrimp, live sand (caribsea packed in sea water), running pumps and no lights...amonia spiked, started coming down, nitrites spiked hard and dropped to 0.4, just tested again and nitrites have spiked high again...my question is shouldnt the nitrites stay on a steady...
  12. J

Chiller question

The aquaeuro chiller has 1/2" connections for the tubing, as does the water pump, but the RedSea Max Chiller accessory has a larger fitting and the tubing will not fit over it. Any suggestions on what I can do? Gesh nothing works. The ecotech battery back up unit did not come with a power...
  13. J

Big today for the tank...can't wait to get home.

This is what's on the way via UPS... ECOTECH MARINE VORTECH WIRELESS MP10WES ECOSMART DRIVER UPGRADE KIT 1 ECOTECH MARINE VORTECH BATTERY BACKUP SEACHEM LABORATORIES STRESS GUARD - 250ML 1 SC1113 SEACHEM LABORATORIES MARINE BUFFER - 250 GRAMS 1 CR05912 CPR FIRST A.I.D. DELUXE MODEL -...
  14. J

When to start skimming?

Tank is in 3rd week of cycle, when should I start skimming? Ammonia spiked off the chart, now nitrites are off the chart, so we are looking good as both should start coming down now. I know it takes a few days to a few weeks for the skimmer to break in, but I'm not sure if it the skimmer would...
  15. J

Hang hospital tank question?

I have a hang on hospital tank with air pump and drip line, should be here Monday, along with some fish meds...when I introduce my first fish, would it be a good idea to keep him there and proactively use some treatments whil he is acclimating?
  16. J

Water container prep

Have my 5 gallon water containers ready to go...anything I should do before water goes in? Thanks.
  17. J

This is funny...

Test kit arrived today...Amonia test, said wait 15m for results, within 5m it was dark green...safe to say I am cycling. Wish I could post a pic from the iPad. It's quiet funny...
  18. J

The waiting game...

Deli shrimp in last Saturday....today a week later I'm getting spikes in nitrites and nitrates. So happy that this time around I have decided to take it slow and just let nature takes its' course. I've had tanks off and on my whole life, and I've never taken it slow....for anyone just starting...
  19. J

Need advice. Just ordered a chiller

Ordered the Teco Seachill for my RSM130d...so, what do i need now? Tubing/pump??
  20. J

Opinions please....Thanks

While my tank is in cycle mode I have time to make some decisions on what I want/need. I have an RSM130D, and I am sure a lot of know, but they run hot...I'm running pumps only, no skimmer, no lights during the cycle and the temp stays at 80-82 degrees constantly...when skimmer gets going and...