This is funny...

JKT69

Test kit arrived today...Amonia test, said wait 15m for results, within 5m it was dark green...safe to say I am cycling. Wish I could post a pic from the iPad. It's quiet funny...

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Woohoo cycle progress! Hows that shrimp smell.

.............I'm feeling salty.

JKT69

Smells like a shrimp rotting :chair: this cycle is going to take a while I think....tank is still very clean, shrimp has a long way to go too...now it looks like a cooked shrimp.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I's tough to wait but in the long run you'll be happier you did it the right way!

JKT69

I'm surprised how clean things still are...shrimp has been in 10 days now, in a mesh bag sitting on the bottom. Glass is clear, substrate clean, but it is black, so it may be hiding some brown. Looks like I'm on a long tank cycle...ammonia levels through the roof on my color chart.

dmatt88

Gorgonians? Sweet. I've always been curious of their care.

dmatt88

Well get that fake stuff out! Haha. Its like an episode of tanked! :p

JKT69

Well get that fake stuff out! Haha. Its like an episode of tanked! :p

Figured I would give myself something to look at while it's cycling. Wouldn't risk putting anything in there now...since ammonia levels are high, should I take the shrimp out? Also, when do I do a water change?

dmatt88

Allow the ammonia to subside. That will begin your nitrites climbing followed by nitrates increasing. When ammonia n trites hit 0 u will b ready for a wc or 2. Til then let er rot. Ur future cuc will love u for it.

JKT69

Figured I would give myself something to look at while it's cycling. Wouldn't risk putting anything in there now...since ammonia levels are high, should I take the shrimp out? Also, when do I do a water change?

Cool beans...at this rate it'll be late August be4 that happens...I'll just continue with top offs till then.

dmatt88

It can happen quick. Just keep testing. Remember tho ur tank will experience cycles forever yet the first year is the dreaded new tank syndrome.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
It can happen quick. Just keep testing. Remember tho ur tank will experience cycles forever yet the first year is the dreaded new tank syndrome.

Yep, diatoms, hair algae, cyano.....oh what fun!!!!

dmatt88

Pretty much in that order. Cyano optional. Talk to john at reefcleaners n get his cuc recommendations.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Thought I was going to have to tear my tank down over the hair algae, but with good husbandry it stayed for quite a while and then all of sudden...poof it was gone!

JKT69

I'm still running no filtration, no lights and only the pumps...hope to mitigate those as much as I can.