Cycle question

JKT69

Been cycling for 5 weeks, raw shrimp, live sand (caribsea packed in sea water), running pumps and no lights...amonia spiked, started coming down, nitrites spiked hard and dropped to 0.4, just tested again and nitrites have spiked high again...my question is shouldnt the nitrites stay on a steady decline? Why climb, drop and climb again?

JKT69

JKT69 said:
Been cycling for 5 weeks, raw shrimp, live sand (caribsea packed in sea water), running pumps and no lights...amonia spiked, started coming down, nitrites spiked hard and dropped to 0.4, just tested again and nitrites have spiked high again...my question is shouldnt the nitrites stay on a steady decline? Why climb, drop and climb again?

Ammonia is at 0 too by the way.

steved13

PREMIUM
Usually it's a rise and fall but for 1 reason or another you could see it seesaw a little. As the ammonia is converted to nitrite 1 will drop and the other will rise then as the nitrite is converted to nitrate the same happens there.

JKT69

Usually it's a rise and fall but for 1 reason or another you could see it seesaw a little. As the ammonia is converted to nitrite 1 will drop and the other will rise then as the nitrite is converted to nitrate the same happens there.

Thanks. Amonia spiked then dropped then nitrite spiked then dropped then nitrates spiked and nitrites dropped now as today amonia is 0, nitrates dropped to the lowest reading,which is 10, now nitrates are off the chart...so i should expect nitrites to drop and nitrates raise again? This is normal I assume.

steved13

PREMIUM
You got your trates and trites mixed up there I think LOL (easy to do)

Your nitrites will drop and nitrates rise. Usually nitrates will not drop and you will do water changes to export the nitrates. The bacteria that convert the nitrates take a very long time to develop.

JKT69

Strange...nitrites rose then dropped and nitrates began rising, now nitrites have spiked and nitrates read at the lowest reading.

on the bacteria i was thinking since im using live sand and fake pourous rock adding a bacteria to help seeding maybe good. but i dont want to add stuff just to add it.

TylerHaworth

If your nitrates are fluctuating substantially during the cycle I'd say you likely need to do a little better job of testing, or acquire some better test kits as there is no realistic way they could be dropping without your intervention... Other than that it sounds fine to me, nitrifying bacteria are mysterious little critters =)

Don't seed it and don't try to speed it up, just sit back and test (accurately) every few days until Ammonia and Nitrites are zero... Use this anxious time to research and research and research what livestock you want, what it requires, and what it is compatible with!

JKT69

maybe i didnt rinse out the test chamber well enough. probably user error. im using ocean master test kit.

steved13

PREMIUM
+1 That would be my guess also, either user error or a bad test kit.

I thought you meant your trites were fluctuating, if it's the trates...testing error

JKT69

steved13 said:
+1 That would be my guess also, either user error or a bad test kit.

I thought you meant your trites were fluctuating, if it's the trates...testing error

No that's right. Trites went up then down a little now up.

TylerHaworth

That is perfectly fine as far as I'm concerned, as it all depends on the decay rate in the tank which can fluctuate... Just keep doin what you have been - testing and waiting =)

steved13

PREMIUM
LOL are you sure? J/K It's easy to get the 1 letter off.

Trites might fluctuate as some are being added (converted from ammonia) and some are reducing (being converted to trates) trates generally just rise, as none are being reduced until you do a water change.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
best bet right now is to add another shrimp, wait two days and start daily testing again, live sand isn't really "live" as we would consider a tanks sandbed, they add some bacteria to the package water. I could not imagine the smell that would come from a months old bag of real ocean live sand, it would be worse than a portopottie on a long weekend in the sun