Chiller question

JKT69

The aquaeuro chiller has 1/2" connections for the tubing, as does the water pump, but the RedSea Max Chiller accessory has a larger fitting and the tubing will not fit over it. Any suggestions on what I can do?

Gesh nothing works. The ecotech battery back up unit did not come with a power cord, so nothing I can do with that either until they ship me another power cord...and I'm sure that's high on their list of things to do next week.

ausreef

i dont use the chiller attachment as it has a major design fault,it puts chilled water right i front of the heater causing it to be on much longer than necessary,run the inlet to the chiller from between the skimmer and heater(most 1000lph pumps will fit in here) and put the outlet through the hole where the (not needed) cooling fan used to be

N83259

JKT69: Doesn't that chiller have a tapered, universal fitting that can adapt to many tubing sizes? The size hose that the chiiler accessory uses should should slip on. Many chillers use these tapered barbs. If yours doesn't have them, maybe you can buy some that fit. I'd use hose clamps for security, preferably the plasic (Teflon?) variety instead of metal. If I'm wrong about this, Marine Depot etc. and some plumbing supply outfits sell in-line adapters with both size barbs.

ausreef: You must have your chiller and heater set points very close together, or maybe I'm missing something. For example, I have a room temp of 72F. So the tank naturally settles in at about 79F to 82F unaided, with lights ON (less at night). Heater set to turn on at 74F (which never would be reached unless the room cools & lights and/or pumps are off). The chiller is set to kick on at 78F-79F. So the two devices never fight each other to my knowledge. But I've always assumed the chiller might be able to check a run away heater, a rare event, avoiding the possibility of the tank cooking during a malfunction. But for the most part, I think my heater would rarely come ON, it's main function is a back up device if my heating system ever broke.

JKT69

Quick trip to Home Depot for some 1/4" to 5/8" coupling pieces and BAM all set. Decided to submerge the pump. Ran pump through the unit for about 30min, no leaks and then cranked her. Set it for 78, been on 20min and it's down to 82. Glad that's over with...