JKT69's 130D

JKT69

Figured I would go ahead and start this thread to chronicle the tank. Tank was re-born on June 5th...previously had been broken down and in storage for almost 2 years (long story). Upgraded to a Tunze 9002, the media basket (plan on running purigren and CPE), keeping the stock lights (for now), AquaEuro Chiller, Ecotech MP10, CaribSea Arag-alive Hawaiian Black, and ceramic rock which is highly pourous. I went fake rock because I wanted to know what was going in the tank, and I liked the way this looked.

I put the shrimp in about 4 1/2 weeks ago and it is basically non-existent...I am still in my cycle phase and just ordered some of Dr. Tim's One and Only and ammonia drops. I have been running no lights this whole time, up until this weekend, now I am keeping them on a couple hours each day, not running the skimmer (however I did run it some this weekend and yesterday just to get use to how it works, water level, etc)

I have been working on my fish wish list and am leaning towards a Goby, Lemon-peel dwarf for sure. What I am looking for is a bottom dweller, a swimmer and something else. First fish in will be the Lemon-peel I think.

If I do any soft inverts it would be along the lines of xenia or similar that shows movement in the tank. And finally I am thinking a pistol shrimp.

Here is a pic of the latest aqua-scape.

IMG_0216.jpg

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I absolutely love wavie flowie corals, they are some of my very favorite ones...

some of mine are

Hammer coral, Torch coral, Frogspawn my tank in constant motion :dance:

feather dusters, xenia, kenya trees, toadstool leathers, frilly mushrooms,

u got alot of open sand bed, if you kept that xenia isolated on a rock by itself, it wont grow crazy. i love my xenia.

JKT69

Having never kept coral before, when it says supplement with X, that does that mean exactly? You dose the tank to provide that supplement?

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Most things corals need r in the salt mix therefore is the importance of water changes. Don't dose til ur tank needs it.

.............stay thirsty my friend.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Depending on how many and what type of coral u keep u may eventually need to supplement. However doing 10% weekly wc is enough many times. Are you monitoring your calc n mag n trates?

.............stay thirsty my friend.

JKT69

I have not tested for any of that while I am in cycle mode...right now just testing nitrites and trates.

thats cool. once your cycle is finished, test your levels for calc, alk, etc.... maybe do 50% wc also just to get some fresher water and replace anything that was used. get frags of the stuff i mentioned above and you shouldnt have to supplement for a while, plus u get to watch it grow. also liquid supplements are very easy and wont hurt, as long as you have tests for what your supplementing. u can usually just pour them in the tank or your top off.

JKT69

The never ending cycle. Tomorrow will be 6 weeks. Ammonia bottomed out but tries still high and trates low. Trates been high for a week now. Talk about a Sunday drive granny around town sight seeing cycle...this is it.

JKT69

Latest on the tank progress...cycling for 6 weeks, and last week I dosed with Dr. Tim's One and Only, nitrites still up but nitrates are on the scene now. Today I noticed the fake rock has a lot more noticeable purple on them, so that's a good sign. I ordered more Dr. Tim's and today I put in enough for a 50 gallon tank, since you cannot overdose this stuff I figured it good to add a little more than necessary. I run the skimmer every so often but since it's not producing any skim mate I figure it won't hurt to start running it more to continue breaking it in. The only thing I'm running are pumps and now lights for 5 hours, along with filter floss. I like that I'm seeing some purple now on the rocks. That has to be a good sign.

JKT69

Latest on the tank progress...cycling for 6 weeks, and last week I dosed with Dr. Tim's One and Only, nitrites still up but nitrates are on the scene now. Today I noticed the fake rock has a lot more noticeable purple on them, so that's a good sign. I ordered more Dr. Tim's and today I put in enough for a 50 gallon tank, since you cannot overdose this stuff I figured it good to add a little more than necessary. I run the skimmer every so often but since it's not producing any skim mate I figure it won't hurt to start running it more to continue breaking it in. The only thing I'm running are pumps and now lights for 5 hours, along with filter floss. I like that I'm seeing some purple now on the rocks. That has to be a good sign.

When I'm cycled, I have the media rack and will run filter floss, purigren and chemi-pure elite and the tune skimmer. So...that should be enough to have me covered.

JKT69

Note to self... Cycling with ceramic rock and live sand takes forever. I may set a record for the longest cycle ever recorded by modern man.