Water container prep

JKT69

Have my 5 gallon water containers ready to go...anything I should do before water goes in?

Thanks.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I usually clean them with some vinegar and RO/DI water, then rinse well.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
I keep 5 gallon jugs covered n let em sit.

.............stay thirsty my friend.

JKT69

Progress week 3... Ammonia still above 0.8, nitrites have spiked to off the chart, the shrimp is barely recognizable now...still only running pumps, no lights and no skimmer. I did put in a water floss to clean up some debris that just kept getting recirculated. Pretty cool to see the cycle happening...it is definitely going through some high levels of ammonia and nitrites. At this rate I'm guessing another 2 weeks minimum before levels bottom out. No hurry...take it slow.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
U are certainly cycling! How's the smell?

.............stay thirsty my friend.

JKT69

Actually the smell is hardly noticeable now...for while though woof it was rank. Think I should start the skimmer?

JKT69

Unless it skimmed stuff from the shrimp...? Nothing else in there except live Carib sea and ceramic rock.

JKT69

Amonia down from over 10 to now 0.4 (in 2 days, thats a nice drop) nitrites are off the chart, well above the darkest color on the test, nitrates starting to make an appearance. No appearance of diatoms or gha yet...but I went with black substrate and i have noticed a few individual pieces scattered around are brown, so perhaps thats the diatoms but the black masks it well, nice benefit. No appearance of anything algea related on the tank, not on the substrate, glass, back of the tank, rocks, etc. Perhaps running no lights has helped mitigate their appearance...? Amonia spiked and held there for a around a week I think, then in 2 days dropped over 50%...at this rate I'm thinking another 2 weeks, which would put this tank at a 6.5 week cycle time. But tests will show for sure...funny too how the tank doesnt smell with that thing in there that use to be a shrimp...figured it would be rank big time.