Prep for heading out of town...

JKT69

Hi everyone...I am heading out of town for 3-4 days this week and no one will be available to keep an eye on the tank. Is there anything I should do to prepare in advance?

Thanks...

JKT

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Here's what I do for a "short" get away:
  • Fill up ATO
  • Remove all sponge/filter media that could clog
  • Reduce over-all photo period
  • Give the tank a full walk around/inspection the night before and resolve any issues... don't wait until you're walking out the door
  • PRAY :)

Seriously for anything more than 3 days I have someone stop in just to get some eyes on the tank... just in case... but if you can't you simply can't so make the best of it and have a GREAT trip!!

JKT69

Thanks...I don't have an ATO, unless you count me :) Luckily the evap is pretty minimal. I run it at 78 degrees and I top off every couple of days. Good idea on reduced lighting...should I lower the skimmer cup all the way too?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I lower/reduce/minimize anything that can "over flow" but that doesn't adversely affect the operation of the tank.

JKT69

Ok, heading out later today or first thing in the morning. Going to feed just before we leave, top off, cover the back panel where the skimmer sticks up with a towel, reduce the lighting period (from 8 hours to what?). Should I run the skimmer? It get skitso on me sometimes and I am little nervous about running it a few days with no check, will it be ok? Lower the skimmer cup so the back chamber wont run dry if something happened...what else should I do. Will be back home either Sunday late or Monday.

Thanks!!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I usually try to "Simplify" the process especially if no one is around to check on it. I turn off the skimmer completely.... unless you're going to go for weeks. Also I reduce my lights to something like a 3-4hr period. I don't know if it helps but it's something I do anyway.