LFS Advice...

JKT69

Just picked up some water for a wc later today...started talking about my tank, etc. Their advice was to remove most of my substrate so it's about an inch thick. I put in 40lbs of carib sea since im not doing live rock, im doing fake rock. So, do I have too much sand/substrate? They said that could be where my trites are coming from.

JKT69

40lbs in a RedSea Max 130d...in areas towards the front, I guess about 2" and areas in the back probably 4.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
many like for shallow sand beds 1" or 6" plus DSBs (Deep Sand Beds)

but there are lots who run 2" sanbeds too, I do

If it were I, I would take a bit out and go for 1-2" or add more & go for 6"

as for lfs advise... I don't correlate this to nitrites... in a new tank just cycling...

see what others think

JKT69

many like for shallow sand beds 1" or 6" plus DSBs (Deep Sand Beds)

but there are lots who run 2" sanbeds too, I do

If it were I, I would take a bit out and go for 1-2" or add more & go for 6"

as for lfs advise... I don't correlate this to nitrites... in a new tank just cycling...

see what others think

Thanks...I'll take some out.

JKT69

I removed some substrate and got it down to about an inch or two. Did a 25% water change and added Dr. Tim's One and Only Nitrifying Bacteria. Now, hopefully, things are getting close to being cycled...I also left the decaying shrimp in there too since it's not fully dissolved yet. What I want is a stable bio filter from the get go.

StirCrayzy

You have a test kit? After ammoniaa and Trites, When the nitrates jump up, start changing water,to get Trates down.
then yer done.
FYI bottled bacteria are basicaally worthless.
For the record, i like my 2" sand.

steved13

PREMIUM
I've heard good things about Dr. Tim's one and only. I've never used it but I have read a lot of good reports.

redneckgearhead

While Dr. Tim's may help the bacteria that breaks ammonia down, I don't believe it can help the final stage of turning nitrates into nitrogen. Frequent water changes will be needed to keep the nitrates down.

StirCrayzy

Hopefully the Dr. Tim's help seed the fake rock...that's the plan anyways. I did some research on that stuff and read independent reviews, etc and it is legit.

Good to know there are some positive reviews, and that not all of these cycling aids are just snake oil.

JKT69

Good to know there are some positive reviews, and that not all of these cycling aids are just snake oil.

Basically, stuff before was made with the wrong type of bacteria. This stuff is the nitrifying bacteria that we wait on to be created while cycling the tank. He wrote his PhD on the nitfrication process and encourages independent studies to either validate or challenge the product. At a minimum it can't hurt.