Search results

1. A

Noise, high temp, now BROKEN skimmer pump - RSM will not replace with new sicce pump

Re: Noise, high temp, now BROKEN skimmer pump - RSM will not replace with new sicce p The heat issues I have are from the lights. There is absolutely no question. That's the beauty of having an internet connected controller. I have 1 minute resolution graphs of temperature/chiller/lights and...
  2. A

Noise, high temp, now BROKEN skimmer pump - RSM will not replace with new sicce pump

Re: Noise, high temp, now BROKEN skimmer pump - RSM will not replace with new sicce p I wouldn't hesitate with the old pump for the skimmer. I've been paying even more attention to the tank and have to say, the new sicce pump isn't really any better. The only issue with the old pump is that it...
  3. A

Recommendations for a new RSM250

Maybe a little late on this one, but as for the chiller size, I would say that the 1/6 might work ok. The 1/4 might be a little too much and cause some short cycle times. I've got a 1/10 on my 250, but I don't have the same ambient heat issues. In regards to plumbing, I took the right side...
  4. A

Weird but true

From my experience, I wouldn't worry much about upgrading to the 3.0 pump. I haven't seen a whole lot of difference in much of anything. I haven't seen any decrease in heat. It's the middle of winter and my chiller still runs to keep the tank down to 78F when the house is at 65F. Even...
  5. A

250 Skimmer Pump 3.0 - Now With Pictures!

Has anyone put the pumps on a meter and measured the actual power draw? I'm pretty sure that the laws of physics still apply inside these tanks and any measured power draw will be only partially converted to heat unless the pump is seized and no water being moved.
  6. A

Well, my pump has been running for a couple days now. As for the skimming, it's about the same but I think I was above average with the stock pump till it stopped working. I was running an external filter with lots of carbon right up until I put the skimmer in so I'll give it some more time...
  7. A

Dimming Ballast Fitted to RSM?

I was looking at doing this for my 250. I sort of lost interest after a lot of searching for ballasts that would fit. I saw the YouTube videos in my searching but never found the information on the ballasts. I found quite a few ballasts that would do the job and I even have a couple for other...
  8. A

Ca, Mg, Alk, and pH, Oh My! - Dowflake Ca, MagFlake Mg Alternatives?

I'm using the BulkReef product. I mix it up into 2.5 gallon containers and have dosing pumps set on timers to feed it to the tanks. I have multiple tanks being fed with their own pumps from a common source in the basement. The pumps are nice in that they are about 1ml/min so I can set them for X...
  9. A

No idea if it works yet, but enough people are asking for pictures...
  10. A

Supplementing Calcium and Alkalinity to your reef RSM

This is something I'm just about dialed in on now. I'm using BulkReef 2-part. Slight catch is that my RSM250 uses the regular pH up formula and my multi-tank uses pH down. I've got them both set up with Neptune Apex units and peristaltic pumps. I wasn't getting such great results by...
  11. A

Skimmer options for the 250

I understand what you meant. But sometimes a noise does the exact opposite and makes the idea of removing your ears through the back of your throat with a rusty spoon seem perfectly reasonable. My skimmer not only hums, but it seems to have set up some freaky resonance. I've squashed a piece...
  12. A

Skimmer options for the 250

I would say give the skimmer a try. They seem to be hit and miss as far as I can determine from everything I'm reading and all the people I've spoken with. It might work for you. Mine is complete rubbish. And don't believe the white noise argument. In fact, if you hear it now there is every...
  13. A

RedSea Max/ Euroreef Skimmer Page

That's shows the problem I (ok, the wife) has with going with one. The tank is very much in the middle of everything and very much a center of attraction. Having the collection cup sticking up and seeing all the waste isn't going to fly in the least bit. It's 110% purely an appearance thing...
  14. A

No, that is helpful. Facts and experience are always helpful even if they aren't quite what you were hoping to hear. I'm convinced that my skimmer isn't doing what it should. I've got it running with the air full open and get very little out of it after 6+ months. 1/2" a week if I'm lucky. I...
  15. A

I'm still working my way though the 60+ pages but haven't seen it yet so I'll ask. This skimmer doesn't "hide" inside the stock hood, correct? That's a deal breaker with the wife and to some extent with me. A big reason we bought a 250 was to have the simple clean setup. Is there a way...
  16. A

RSM 250 Skimmer Performance Poll

I'm not happy with my skimmer. I only voted that I'm not getting much out of it, but that's probably because I haven't considered the temperature angle and the sound issue isn't horrible. The chiller drowns it out. (I think I see something here...) The tank just won't stabilize for me and it's...
  17. A

RSM250 Lighting Partially Working?

Resurrected from the dead. I finally got around to pulling the hood apart to figure out what was going on rather than dealing with Red Sea and sending the thing back. I think my unit wins the prize for poor construction. At first, I was sort of happy. The jumper wire between the two end...
  18. A

RSM250 Lighting Partially Working?

Just set up my new 250 (after waiting 3 months). Everything went swimmingly right up until I turned on the main lights. Seems that the middle two sockets aren't working. I've swapped around bulbs so it's definitely not a bulb issue and it pretty much points squarely at the sockets. Are there...