Skimmer options for the 250

redsea reefer

Also if you block the air intake and just allow water to run through the skimmer does it affect the sound?

Cheers

Tim

If you block the air intake hose, the skimmer won't produce any bubbles and any skimming will cease. You can try to find a muffler for the air hose.

Auritania

my reference to a noise that you will get use to over time... my refrigerator makes a noise when it runs, at a db level of 45db, but I don't pay it much attention, because I have become use to it... for what it's worth... my 130D skimmer db level is 62 db & I just took a sound level reading today :) I hear it & it's louder than I like, in fact I may one day change it out for just this reason, but I also have become use to it...

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/50523-rsm-db-level-readings.html

I understand what you meant. But sometimes a noise does the exact opposite and makes the idea of removing your ears through the back of your throat with a rusty spoon seem perfectly reasonable.

My skimmer not only hums, but it seems to have set up some freaky resonance. I've squashed a piece of foam between the skimmer body and the back wall of the tank to make it stop. I'm thinking I might be onto something at least in terms of the noise.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Auritania - thanks for the feedback... and if you figure out a new mod for the skimmer that works, I am sure everyone would love that !!!

Ever think about starting a tank thread? I know we would all love to see some pics of your tanks ! :)

regal tang

So has anybody tried running the skimmer using a different pump?

That is an intersting question. It might work?

Has anyone tried to use the Red Sea C-Skim or the Berlin X2. I was impressed with the u-tube video of the C-skim. It would be great if you could get a skimmer lik it into the RSM 250 compartment.