Supplementing Calcium and Alkalinity to your reef RSM

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
With my SPS pulling out so much calcium I've now switched to SeaChem Reef Advantage Calcium, and with my pH always borderline low I've been using SeaChem Reef Buffer and Marine Buffer. All are dry and I mix in a bit of RO/DI water and pour in the sump - about every other day.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Terry at our last reef club event, we had a SeaChem company rep come speak on all thier products, I was impressed, I might try them one day too. I think they do have a very very good product line.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Tammy you are welcome... the article by Randy Holmes-Farley is excellent - imo ! I listened to him & it's working for me :)

Oakhouse

Still trying to sort this out ourselves.. have ordered a bigger bottle of the RedSea Coral Buff which deals with alk. Once I've got a clear idea, I'll post again! Seem to be testing every day for alk and calcium.

Does feel a little :drown: at times. LOL.

Great post! and thanks for bumping it!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
read the the article by Randy Holmes-Farley... a name you can trust for advise :) and you are welcome, gald you enjoyed... !

like Terry, I also use Marine Buffer. This maintains your alkalinity and adds carbonates and bicarbonates in a ratio that pushes the pH towards 8.3.
What I like about Seachem is the transparency of the mechanisms through which their products work. I'm a big fan of totally understanding everything about my tank, including any additives that I use. If you don't understand something about one of Seachem's products, ask them and they will explain it to you, in as "layman" or as scientific a way as you require.

Spikewire

I'm going to finish reading the articles by Randy Holmes-Farley later on tonight but so far they seem like great reads. The cool thing is that he lives about 5 minutes from where I grew up in my home town of Arlington. After I finish his articles maybe I'll drop him an email and say hi.

Auritania

This is something I'm just about dialed in on now.

I'm using BulkReef 2-part. Slight catch is that my RSM250 uses the regular pH up formula and my multi-tank uses pH down.

I've got them both set up with Neptune Apex units and peristaltic pumps. I wasn't getting such great results by dosing once or twice a day, so I used the Apex units to create an hourly drip. The multi-tank system needs about 200ml per day of each, so I divided that by 24 hours and applied my pump's rates to come up with about 7 minutes per hour. I set the Apex units up with an 007/053 oscillation like a wave maker and attached the intake tubing to 1 gallon jugs at each tank.

It's been working really well now that I continually dose at a slower rate.

I've got the RSM250 setup for magnesium manually once a week and the multi-tank has a 3rd peri-pump feeding in a little magnesium every day.

Trace elements are still 100% manual.

Oakhouse

Hi Guys, Thought I'd ask a question re alkalinity, and this seemed the appropriate place to put it...

I am currently dosing Reef Carbonate to raise alkalinity, am dosing about 60ml a day, and this is only just keeping the Alk stable. Does this sound allot?? Just concerned I am going through this stuff at a rate of knots!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
60 ml a day seems like a lot, but I'm not familiar with the Reef Carbonate. Are your Ca & Mg OK?

Oakhouse

Hi Terry, Thanks for the reply.

Number below:

Mg around 1300 (Stable)
Calcium around 400 (Stable)
Amm, No3, No2 and phos all undetectable (Stable).
pH 8.4

I am managing to keep the Alk around 3.2 meq/l (9dKh) but been trying to get it upto around 4!

The reef Carbonate is the Seachem product. We do a Weekly water change of around 20%. (Change water is tested before hand and is always "right".). Use RO/DI water from the LFS (reported less than 2 TDS), and Red Sea Coral Pro salt.

All the inhabitants of the tank seem very healthy. Just seemed to be alot.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
The readings all look to be in line, and 9 alk isn't bad either. My alk was 10.2 dKh a couple days ago, and my Ca is the one I have trouble keeping up where it should be. I add a 2-part and have been going heavier on the Ca addition than the alk addition.

tnwillia

Glenn... thanks for putting this back up, I was looking for it. Just added my first few SPS, going to use TLF 2-part C-Balance. I've seen my Alk go down in the first few days the SPS's were in the tank. The articles were great, I read them last year and went back through part 2 yesterday. Big help, thanks!