Supplementing Calcium and Alkalinity to your reef RSM

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
If you have a reef RSM, do you add Calcium and Alkalinity? If so, can you tell me how often, how much & what brand name supplement you are using?

I know the "correct" answer is I dose in accordance with my testing, but what I am wanting to know from those that have establish a pattern/fixed ratio over time, with a reef RSM, what is that?

How To” Guide to Reef Aquarium Chemistry for Beginners,
Part 2: What Chemicals Must be Supplemented

The “How To” Guide to Reef Aquarium Chemistry for Beginners Part 2: What Chemicals Must be Supplemented by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Small extraction from above link & a good read.

Supplementing Calcium and Alkalinity: What Method?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to supplement calcium and alkalinity is with some sort of additive system that provides them in the exact ratio at which they are depleted by corals. Many beginning aquarists don’t believe this opinion, or at least have started down the road of independent calcium and alkalinity additives because that is what the local store sold them, and are hesitant to believe the importance of changing. After all, they argue, I can closely monitor calcium and alkalinity with test kits, so why does it matter if I add them in a fixed ratio? Wouldn’t it be better to add exactly what I need when I need it?

That sounds good, but in practice many real world factors get in the way. For example:

1. Test kits do not always provide accurate results (through kit or human error).
2. Aquarists quickly tire of measuring water parameters, and slack off.
3. Accidental over- or under dosing is much more common than might be thought.

After answering many tens of thousands of reef aquarium chemistry questions for hobbyists over the past decade, it is clear that calcium and alkalinity problems dominate their chemistry concerns (with pH a close second).

This whole article by Randy Holmes-Farley (Author) is very good ! I think I am going to follow his suggestions as I start out with my coral & see how that goes... any opinions related to this train of thought?

Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping Online Magazine
Randy Holmes-Farley has a BA in chemistry and biology from Cornell University (1982) and a PhD in chemistry from Harvard University (1986). He has 57 patents, numerous publications and several awards in a variety of chemical fields. In 1992 he helped start a pharmaceutical company (GelTex Pharmaceuticals). It was eventually bought by Genzyme where he now has the title of Vice President, Chemical Research. Randy is also the co-inventor of two commercial pharmaceuticals (Renagel and WelChol).

Randy has been keeping reef aquaria for just over 10 years. He has been active on a variety of reef internet forums for that same period, and has been especially involved in chemistry-related discussions. For the past four years he has moderated The Reef Chemistry Forum at Reef Central. He has authored many reefkeeping articles with a chemistry emphasis for Fishnet, Aquarium Frontiers, Advanced Aquarists Online Magazine, and this one (Reefkeeping).

StevieT

RS Sponsor
2 part solution every other day. C-ballance but b-ionic is also a good product

You need to test before you dose so you know the depletion of calk and alk in the tank.

I have to dose every other day with my stocking of SPS corals.

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
My practice is to test Alk and Ca every day before dosing at the beginning to see what the levels are and what the affect of the dosage is, so I can determine the proper amount. Once you do, you can test every week.

What other tanks do has little bearing on yours, as what Ca your tank consumes can be wildly different than anyone other system IMO

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
So you don't find you use are a fixed ratio?

"they argue, I can closely monitor calcium and alkalinity with test kits, so why does it matter if I add them in a fixed ratio? Wouldn’t it be better to add exactly what I need when I need it?"

Do you mine telling me how often, how much & what brand name supplement you are using, anyone who finds they are using a fixed ratio, most of the time? I am curious & if we have the same size tank & similar coral, this information would help me understand in some general parameters if I am testing correctly & calculating my dosing right. If nothing else, humor a newbie lol - thxs !

Mavjoy

You just have to test first then dose then test again...you have to find out how much your system consume first after maybe a week of dosing...I started with 5 ml each but went to 10ml each after 2 weeks.

StevieT

RS Sponsor
I dose in a pretty fixed ratio but that works for me. I rarely test but do after I get scared for not testing for some time. Results are always on. With a regular water change schedule and regular dosing use of calc and alk are the same.

This works for me... You need to test for a few weeks to find how fast your depleation is. You generate an eye for these things, IMO I would think testing every day would be a huge PIA

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I dose in a pretty fixed ratio but that works for me. I rarely test but do after I get scared for not testing for some time. Results are always on. With a regular water change schedule and regular dosing use of calc and alk are the same.

This works for me... You need to test for a few weeks to find how fast your depleation is. You generate an eye for these things, IMO I would think testing every day would be a huge PIA

Thanks StevieT - I am going to try to follow the same plan.

I ate lunch last Saturday with our states Marine Aquarist of the Year Ralph Corneliussen Razorbackreef.org • View topic - ARKANSAS MARINE AQUARIST OF THE YEAR and talked about all this a bit. He told be he just mixes his own from base chemicals from Bulk Reef Supply - Bulk Reef Supply

We were at frag fest & it was held at a local fish store, I ask him being I am just starting out what I could get today & he recommended E.S.V. B-Ionic 2-Part , if I didn't want to start out mixing my own. So I bought this to start...

Confession: I am a newbie, but a quick study, of somewhat average intelligence, I manage an Information Technology shop & am a VP of the local chess club, but I have been struggling with my Ca & Alk testing. I have re-read all the instruction of the Red Sea test kit several times & have tested three times now, but I am not very confident in all the counting of the drips & my accuracy in performing the test & keep getting different test results.

Thus... it seems like dose similar to what someone else is doing, with the same size tank & a similar amount of coral would be a relevant starting point, as compared to inaccurate guessing dosing & poor testing, until I can get up to speed & get this all figured out.

I know I must not be the only one that feels this way... just brave enough to confess it

Anyway thanks for the post back all who replied. Any tips of advise appreciated. Sorry for long post... if you don't want to post your exact dosing here, but would be willing to PM them to me, that would be very much appreciated to !

Thanks Glenn

mbdave

I use bulkreefsupply.com mix,"very cost effective" and dose what I need. I agree with clownfish test daily the first week until you get the dose down then I test weekly.
Also its sooooo easy to mix.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
just update... bought a different test kit & finally got my CA testing to give me the same #'s three times in a row - right now at 460.

I don't like RSM CA test kit, have trouble using that needle like adaptor on the syringe working well for me, counting drops.

I started off under the misguided impression that my saltwater was going to put my calcium somewhat close to what I needed and it was never over like 350... but my 2 part supplementing has it near right now... will test every other day for next week & see if I can figure out a "fixed dosage".

Being no one told me what exactly they are doing, if anyone wants to know what I fix dose, once I get it figured out, let me know & I will PM you. If you think it will help you any getting started & until you can test & figure it out for yourself.

echopiece

I started off under the misguided impression that my saltwater was going to put my calcium somewhat close to what I needed and it was never over like 350... but my 2 part supplementing has it near right now... will test every other day for next week & see if I can figure out a "fixed dosage".
Wow, I am using the Red Sea CA test kit along with the Coral Pro Salt, and I have found that my CA levels are around 460-470. Actually, it goes beyond the chart that Red Sea gives you so I am not exactly sure. I need to purchase some API test kits to just put my mind at ease!

I agree, the red sea test kit for CA is a PIA. I wouldnt want to do that daily.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
The API test kit is what I got & like it better, I am currently getting my ro/di saltwater from LFS, they use Seachem Reefsalt, salinity at 1.025 when I get it. I have never tested the sw from store for CA, so maybe combo things, like the Seachem Reefsalt not as good or the LFS does not use enough &/or my live rock & corals are consuming it quickly to effect the results.

I have only read good things about the RSM Coral Pro.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I'm dosing Kent Tech CB A & B. I test about once a week and adjust the amounts of A & B depending on the test result I get. I add more Ca than Alk - I suppose because I have some SPS and a Monti cap that is getting increasingly huge, and obviously sucking up a lot of calcium. I'm currently at 10 cc of A and 6 cc of B, added daily, trying to keep my Ca at close to 480 and my alk around 9 - 10. I tried the bulkreefsupply stuff, but it was taking much higher levels (weaker), plus the Tech CB has some trace elements, where the bulkreefsupply stuff doesn't. Using Salifert for Alk and Seachem for Ca.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Thanks for the post Terry !
745.gif

Excellence in reefkeeping is achieved by mastering the fundamentals, and learning from mistakes :)

redseareef

RS Sponsor
Hi guys,
Baking soda mixed with RO DI water for buffer. 15 ml's daily. Salifert calcium, strontium, magnesium and Brightwell Iodine. Drug store potassium Chloride granules added twice a week. Cool thread!

mzreenie

Nano, my tank is the RSM 130D. I use BulkReefSupply additives. They go a long way - you receive enough to mix up a gallon of Calc and Alk supplements. Their website has a good calculator to determine how much to add to get your Mag, Cal, and Alk up to the correct levels. They also have a calculator (or a chart) to help you determine your daily dose amounts. I dose 7.5 ml's of Calc and Alk daily, and that seems to keep my levels where they should be. I test weekly, and I use Red Sea Pro Coral Salt.