Supplementing Calcium and Alkalinity to your reef RSM

magicmann

Al

It worked ok but it was difficult to get enough in to keep everything stable. With being out all day and doing it manually it was difficult to get enough in the tank without putting in too much at a time. I am now mioving to balling which I hope will keep the tank more stable.

Paul

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Way to go Paul! I'd love to attempt something similar (Balling, Zeo, Neo etc) but my current living arrangements barely allowed for a tank so I doubt I can add much more "stuff" to the mix before I get booted out LOL! My brother is a Clean Freak (not a bad thing at all).

Keep us posted on your endeavor. I'm going to start Kalkwasser maybe as early as tonight.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
bump3.jpg
for anyone with a new tank & interested... long thread, but a good :read:

alexpsy

Sodium Bicarbonate for dKh Calcium chloride dihydrate for Calcium and Magnesium chloride-sulphide for Magnesium + FM trace elements Thats the Balling light method very popular in europe.However it needs a dosing pump.

Last edited:

magicmann

I am still balling and it does keep the params balanced. You do have to keep an eye on it when corals grow as you need to increase the dose. Other than that it is reasonably straight forward.

However I would say limewater is much easier and it always leaves your tank balanced. Don't rule it out it just isn't in vogue at the moment but that maybe because it is cheaper.