Weird but true

yycguy

Hi Ramon,
Not sure what the issue is with your tank, I can only tell you what mine does and its certainly does not have the same heat problem you have. Now a couple of questions, are you running the cooling fans 24/7? also lights are they on 8 hrs or more?

I am running the same tank, stock pumps, with the exception of the skimmer its the new V3 pump. Now I DONT run a chiller, I do though run my cooling fans 24/7 my lights run for 8 hours.

My home is also a modern two story home, I have the tank on the main floor and my home has central A/C with the temperature set at between 20-23 (varies for the time of day)............

Now I did have to turn the heater up after installing the new skimmer pump I am running a Stealth Heater and my tank temp is a pretty constant 78 F........

Hope you get your temp sorted out and maybe some of my info will help....

Sorry LAKERSFREAK if we are hijacking your thread :(

colaboy

Hi Ramon,
Not sure what the issue is with your tank, I can only tell you what mine does and its certainly does not have the same heat problem you have. Now a couple of questions, are you running the cooling fans 24/7? also lights are they on 8 hrs or more?

I am running the same tank, stock pumps, with the exception of the skimmer its the new V3 pump. Now I DONT run a chiller, I do though run my cooling

Thanks for responding!

I also do have the new 3.0 skimmer pump!

And now for your questions: My back fans are OFF. But I do have a cooler.

I have the fans off because I know a lot of people who don't run them and still have acceptable temperatures in combination with a cooler. I don't like that much of water evaporation...

But I will test what happens if I turn them on and how much of a difference it will be....

greets,
Ramon

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
But still my tank easily goes to 27 celcius (80.6)

I would be happy with this - I don't use a chiller now & it's about what my 130D does, anything less & I would be elated - but if I could run a RSM 250 - no chiller & stay below 81 - I am going to do it :)

Thanks for the post all !!!

Hopefully all this info... will add to lakers decision, as to the value of the new pump.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I really haven't, just didn't want the initial cost & power consumption, unless I have to have it. My 130D done so well without one & temps upto 81.

Hi Ramon,

I am running the same tank, stock pumps, with the exception of the skimmer its the new V3 pump. Now I DONT run a chiller, I do though run my cooling fans 24/7 my lights run for 8 hours.

My home is also a modern two story home, I have the tank on the main floor and my home has central A/C with the temperature set at between 20-23 (varies for the time of day)............

Now I did have to turn the heater up after installing the new skimmer pump I am running a Stealth Heater and my tank temp is a pretty constant 78 F........

Hope you get your temp sorted out and maybe some of my info will help....

Sorry LAKERSFREAK if we are hijacking your thread :(

You are not hijacking my thread. The heat problem is the same problem I have. I'm just upset cause I have to pay for it. I think thats ridiculous. I don't wanna pay for it and then they decide to recall. I will lose out on $85!:hammerhea

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
imo - I don't think there is any chance at all of it being "officially" recalled. I might be wrong... The RSM 250 is 13 months old now & the warranty expiring on some tanks.

Because... a large % of all the pumps will "get" through the 1st 12 months - if I had one, I would understand 100% wanting it replaced for free, if I was in the % that had problems.

That being said... Kudos to Red Sea for fixing the problem & coming up with a solution... like the changes made on the D models of the 130 tanks.

imo - I don't think there is any chance at all of it being "officially" recalled. I might be wrong... The RSM 250 is 13 months old now & the warranty expiring on some tanks.

Because... a large % of all the pumps will "get" through the 1st 12 months - if I had one, I would understand 100% wanting it replaced for free, if I was in the % that had problems.

That being said... Kudos to Red Sea for fixing the problem & coming up with a solution... like the changes made on the D models of the 130 tanks.

I bought my tank in March so technically I still have 2 months, but yeah look like I have to purchase the pump.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
The way I look at it, this isn't the same as coming out with the 130D tank, and then being expected to furnish 130 owners with the surface skimmer, or the new higher PAR bulbs, at no charge. The fact that Red Sea came out with the new Sicce pump is an admission that the Hydor pumps had a lot of problems and failures. I honestly think 250 owners with the Hydor pumps should get the Sicce pump at no charge. This isn't the same as coming out with a new 250 model. They could at least send out the new pump, then only charge the owners if they don't return the Hydor pump within a certain amount of time. To me that would be fair. Take the new Toyota brake pedal situation as an example - people with affected cars won't be charged to get the new pedals installed. Sure this would cost Red Sea a goodf deal of money, but their tactic of making owners pay for the new pump is just making their reputation suffer even more.

And to still be shipping out 250s with the Hydor pump is to me inexcusable!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Terry - I agree 100% , but from reading steveh post in Ask Red Sea, they won't even own up to the fact the original pumps have a problem...

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
I'll have to agree with you Glenn. It seems to me that if they own up that the original pumps have a problem, they would be obliged to replace it under warranty. By not admitting it, they don't have to do anything. Bad for the reputation of the company I reckon.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I'll have to agree with you Glenn. It seems to me that if they own up that the original pumps have a problem, they would be obliged to replace it under warranty. By not admitting it, they don't have to do anything. Bad for the reputation of the company I reckon.

Exactly! And we can't blame SteveH - I'm sure he doesn't make the policies, and has to take the approach he does.

This is what I am talking about ~ They won't agree that the original pumps are problematic so they aren't legally forced to send the new pumps to everyone. Why am I supposed to pay an extra $85 for something that should've been included in my RSM 250 package?

yycguy

Thanks for responding!

I also do have the new 3.0 skimmer pump!

And now for your questions: My back fans are OFF. But I do have a cooler.

I have the fans off because I know a lot of people who don't run them and still have acceptable temperatures in combination with a cooler. I don't like that much of water evaporation...

But I will test what happens if I turn them on and how much of a difference it will be....

greets,
Ramon

Ramon,
I understand you not wanting the evaporation, but I like the fans running and I also ran them continuously on my 130. With them on there is no moister at all under the rear hood, nothing running down the back of the tank when you open up the rear cover.
Now my tank temp does rise if the fans are OFF but as long as they are ON i have no temperature problem what so ever and I don't run a chiller................ I do have the Tunze osmolator and yes it gulps up the water............but I love the Osmolator and it keeps my Skimmer very happy
:jumprope:

nanoskim

This is what I am talking about ~ They won't agree that the original pumps are problematic so they aren't legally forced to send the new pumps to everyone. Why am I supposed to pay an extra $85 for something that should've been included in my RSM 250 package?

You may try to negotiate with them to see if they would not sell the "upgrade" to their current customers for a more reasonable price.
Speaking as the manufacturer whose early nano skimmer mesh wheels disintegrated due to the high pH in reef aquariums, I think it would be a responsible thing to do and good business to take care of your customers.
We charged all our customers our cost for the upgraded diamond mesh impellers and our customers had no problem with that because they were not the type of customers looking for a handout.

Hope that RSM will do this for you and other hobbyists affected by the pump problem.

Good luck,
Robbert

Nowellsy SNR

And by them not owning upto any problems with the old pumps it saves Red Sea lots off money because id be first on the list for a new pump like many others now im having to wait for the Sicce 3.0 pump growing tired of my stock skimmer pump

Auritania

From my experience, I wouldn't worry much about upgrading to the 3.0 pump. I haven't seen a whole lot of difference in much of anything.

I haven't seen any decrease in heat. It's the middle of winter and my chiller still runs to keep the tank down to 78F when the house is at 65F. Even overnight with the lights out.

The new pump isn't any more quiet than the old one. The noise I get comes from the entire skimmer body rattling about. Some foam wedged between the tank and the skimmer have been the only solution to the noise.

Foam production is the same No change in performance.

Power consumption is marginally better but by about 16 watts according to the power meter on the line. I can't even say that is an accurate value as there are enough fluctuations to make it statistically irrelevant.

The only thing I don't know is if it will keep running. The original pump ran for almost 9 months before one day stopping. I've only got about a month on the new pump.

So, overall, I would say that the new pump really isn't any miracle. It's better in some ways, but it's also only a evolutionary change. It's not a revolutionary change.

Nowellsy SNR

From my experience, I wouldn't worry much about upgrading to the 3.0 pump. I haven't seen a whole lot of difference in much of anything.

I haven't seen any decrease in heat. It's the middle of winter and my chiller still runs to keep the tank down to 78F when the house is at 65F. Even overnight with the lights out.

The new pump isn't any more quiet than the old one. The noise I get comes from the entire skimmer body rattling about. Some foam wedged between the tank and the skimmer have been the only solution to the noise.

Foam production is the same No change in performance.

Power consumption is marginally better but by about 16 watts according to the power meter on the line. I can't even say that is an accurate value as there are enough fluctuations to make it statistically irrelevant.

The only thing I don't know is if it will keep running. The original pump ran for almost 9 months before one day stopping. I've only got about a month on the new pump.

So, overall, I would say that the new pump really isn't any miracle. It's better in some ways, but it's also only a evolutionary change. It's not a revolutionary change.
Thanks for that it good to hear what everyone has to say about the Sicce pump, im still pushing the Mrs for a EuroReef :)

colaboy

[.....]

Can't agree more!

What annoyes me though is that I can not find the reason why some people has to reintroduce they heaters to keep the temperature up, etc, etc.

Why are there so many temperature differences between indentical tank setups...

Is it the lights? Is it the pumps? Really no pattern can be identified...... Irritating this is....