RSM250 Lighting Partially Working?

Auritania

Just set up my new 250 (after waiting 3 months). Everything went swimmingly right up until I turned on the main lights. Seems that the middle two sockets aren't working. I've swapped around bulbs so it's definitely not a bulb issue and it pretty much points squarely at the sockets.

Are there multiple ballasts? Is it worth pulling the hood apart and mucking about with checking connections or just contact Red Sea and let them deal with it?

Thanks

redsea reefer

Just make sure they are properly seated, if they are contact red sea first. Maybe messing with it first might void your warranty.

tnwillia

Sorry to here your problems. The RSM site has PDF downloads showing how to take everything about the hood apart. Before that I'd go to "ask Red Sea" thread on here and see if SteveH can help solve your problem. Good Luck!

Auritania

Resurrected from the dead.

I finally got around to pulling the hood apart to figure out what was going on rather than dealing with Red Sea and sending the thing back. I think my unit wins the prize for poor construction.

At first, I was sort of happy. The jumper wire between the two end caps wasn't inserted all the way. I wiggled it and it came out! So, I powered up thinking I was all set. Wrong. Chased back to the ballast and the brown wire wasn't seated correctly, it too just pulled out! So, power on again.... nothing. Bah.

Ok, the next logical thing was to see if there was even power off the relay. Meter shows power and it's working correctly. Reconnect the power and test the output side of the ballast. Nothing. Check the relay power and it's good. So, swap two ballasts and see what happens. Result: Now 2 different bulbs are dead. What?

After another 20 minutes of scratching my head, testing for voltage and a few choice words for the person that engineered this thing I finally found it.

A bad crimp on the blue wire's flag terminal. It was crimped around the insulation, but not around the copper. Pulled all the power leads and soldered the flag terminals. Just the one wasn't connected, but for the trouble to get back in there later, it was worth dealing with. But still, 3 critical faults in constructing the one circuit.

The real end result is that I'm even more disappointed with the whole thing. I can't really say anything because my wife loves the look of it and the fact that most everything is integrated and "leak proof" in her kitchen. (don't bother explaining to her about the chiller loop....)

So after the skimmer that barely skims, the noisy pumps, the constant battle with micro bubbles and the grating noise of the hinges (who ever designed those must have had 4 arms and was deaf) I can at least say I fixed the lights.

Haven't been this disappointed in a purchase in a long time and I was one of those people who bought an HD-DVD player.

RaysReef

Has been struck by the ban stick
Hi Auritania. Sorry to hear about your problems... you seem to know what you are talking about with the electrics in the hood. I would have sent it back and made RedSea send me another one along with some compensation but I know that's just more hassle. If the setup didn't look so good they wouldn't sell, because the quality of some components really are crap. Made in china is it? lol @ the HD, so many millions fell for that one. I waited and got the Blu Ray but don't even use it. Some say RedSea will bring out a Max 250D (deluxe version where they fix their mistakes)...

Anyway that isn't a good start for you. I'd still let Red Sea know though, just for the record. I laugh, but it really isn't funny. I've has some tingles (i wont call it an electric shock) when rubbing my bare arm over the hood, but I don't even want to think about that.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Auritania - first of all........

welcome-rainbow-rotate-ag1.gif

To Reef Sanctuary and the RSM Club! Both are a great place to be for RSM owners, and we have quite a few 250 owners in here.

Sorry about the hood being such a pain! It sounds like something is lacking in construction and quality control by Red Sea. I would think these things must not even be tested, or that crimp on the wire insulation would have never passed any inspection! It's getting increasing difficult to remain positive about Red Sea products, even though they still have great customer service. Folks would rather have things work correctly at the start, rather than rely on customer service, or in your case fixing it yourself. At least you had the needed electrical know-how to fix the hood - many of us don't.

We don't have a "hood poll" (yet) but you might want vote in the skimmer poll:

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...b/50180-rsm-250-skimmer-performance-poll.html