RedSea Max/ Euroreef Skimmer Page

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
I would probably suggest trying pure silicone grease instead of petroleum jelly since it will probably be more inert and wont cause the plastics to swell further. I happen to have some that came with my ER RS80 skimmer, but you should be able to find some online like at the ER web site:

Euro-Reef Silicone Lubricant

Funny you should mention the screws. My first bracket became so difficult to turn, I thought I was going to bust the screw. I assumed it was because my lower screw comes in contact with salt water. Robbert was sending me a replacement pump for a minor volute defect that was keeping my volute cover from fitting on correctly, so he included a new bracket with slightly looser nylon screws. The nylon screws on the new one have stiffened slightly, but have not jammed up like the old one.

Needless to say, Robbert provides good customer service.

You can buy silicone lubricant at Home Depot, Lowes, or any hardware store pretty inexpensively

redseareef

RS Sponsor
Hey guys,
Thanks! Terry, :bouncer: :bouncer: :bouncer: :clink: :crowd: congrats on the retirement!:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: That's awesome! You got a big dinner planned for tonight????
WOW! You get to sleep in tomorrow!!! Things are good over here. Looking for things to pick up here to with back to school.
My skimmer is doing great. I am now on my third set of impellers. Waiting for the new Silicon ones to arrive! And here I thought I had a special set..........LOL.
I got around this past weekend to adding a reactor to my tank for more efficiency. It's only been one day so far, but we will see how it works out. Much easier to get to for sure!
How have all you guys been? I hope all is been good for everyone.;)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Todd - lots new rsm owners forum members & lots of very pretty pics & rsm tanks for you to see !
050.gif

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Hi Todd!! Yep - I'm officially retired as of signing the severance papers at 10:30am this morning. No big dinner, in fact we had hot dogs LOL! BUT, the alarm clock has also been turned off and also retired! I'm running a reactor also now - a small fluidized bed one in my sump, with Chemi-Pure Elite in it. A much more efficient way to run media like that, and my wee bit of nitrates (2.5 ppm) has dropped to zero again. I'm still on my first set of wheels, but looking forward to the new alloy as well. I think I finally saw a little bit of degradation on mine when I cleaned the wheels when switching the pumps to the new sump design cylinder, which, by the way, is working great.

Clownfish - thanks for the location on the silicone grease!

redseareef

RS Sponsor
Terry,
Wow! Very nice! Wake up when the tank lights go on now!LOL!!!!! Glad to hear the tank is doing well!
Thanks Glenn! Yes, I have been having a look around. Lot's of new Max owners!
Dean! Did you get the new tank set up yet????

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Just about Todd. Nitrites dropped to 2 mg/l today, so "cycle" is just about to complete, though you and I know its really just the first phase

TenUhC

After fighting with the Tunze 9002 for about 2 months. I sucked in my pouting lips and ordered the Euroreef Skimmer last night. I hope it gets here soon, hint hint, anyway I hope it is the answer to my clarity and micro bubble issues. I have now thrown over 800 dollars at this problem with insufficient results. The Euroreef is my final hope. Here is my laundry list: Tunze 9002 - Made more bubbles than RSM skimmer, but did produce better skimmate than stock, inTank collection cup for that pretty under the hood look - No effect on water, inTank Media Basket - Polish filter really helped water clarity but no effect on bubbles, Marineland C-160 cannister filter - Cleaned the water to the best it has ever looked but once again no luck on the bubbles, AquaticLife light hood - did nothing for water clarity or bubbles but did make them less notable, now waiting on Euroreef to finish me off with no bubbles.

I am still running all the above mentioned items together to get where I am now not to mention doing the Eheim 600 pump upgrade.

tnwillia

TenUhC.... You know you have to clean that polish filter every couple of days, they clog up fast and were not meant to be in the tank all the time. Is it possible any of your pump line are getting air into them? I ran into that a couple of months ago causing microbubbles. You'll be happy with the EuroReef just remember it has to break in and your going to have lots of bubbles the first month. Good Luck.

nanoskim

quick question : is this skimmer already availabe for europe? plug / pump wise ?

cheers

There are two ways to use the skimmer:

1. find the Resun SP-980 pump and we supply the necessary parts to make it a skimmer pump

2. Use a transformer (most European users have used transformer because it is cheaper then pump)

Let me know if I can be of further help...our email: nano@euro-reef.com

Regards,
Robbert
Euro-Reef Nano Systems

proenca

Robert, thanks for the quick reply.

One question : the included pumps are compatible in terms of voltage and hz with european signals ? Usually ( correct me if Im wrong, US is 110v 50hz and here we use 220v 60hz ) .

That said, so a this should do the trick :

adapter_us_to_europe.jpg

Please confirm.

thanks

Auritania

I'm still working my way though the 60+ pages but haven't seen it yet so I'll ask.

This skimmer doesn't "hide" inside the stock hood, correct? That's a deal breaker with the wife and to some extent with me. A big reason we bought a 250 was to have the simple clean setup.

Is there a way to modify the skimmer to sit down inside? Is there (sorry) another decent skimmer that will hide inside the existing skimmer compartment?

nanoskim

Robert, thanks for the quick reply.

One question : the included pumps are compatible in terms of voltage and hz with european signals ? Usually ( correct me if Im wrong, US is 110v 50hz and here we use 220v 60hz ) .

That said, so a this should do the trick :

adapter_us_to_europe.jpg

Please confirm.

thanks

The US uses 120V, 60Hz and you use 220V, 60Hz.
We do not yet sell our skimmers with 220V, 50-60Hz pumps since we have not advertised them for sale in Europe in general. If there is a demand for our skimmers in Europe, we will get the 220V pumps.

Like I said before, you can try to find the Resun pumps in Europe or use a transformer...what you showed is just the plug conversion from US to European...that will not work.

Regards,
Robbert

nanoskim

I'm still working my way though the 60+ pages but haven't seen it yet so I'll ask.

This skimmer doesn't "hide" inside the stock hood, correct? That's a deal breaker with the wife and to some extent with me. A big reason we bought a 250 was to have the simple clean setup.

Is there a way to modify the skimmer to sit down inside? Is there (sorry) another decent skimmer that will hide inside the existing skimmer compartment?

The current skimmer sticks out because of the design and operating water level in the tank.
What is wrong with the stock skimmer..noisey?...not enough foam?

I am not aware of another "decent" skimmer that will hide in the tank.

If I were to modify the stock skimmer using our technology, it will produce so much foam you may have to raise the stock skimmer as well...actually I have have already done this test and the foam blew the lid off at the suggested operating water level in the tank... then you may also have the problem with bubbles returning to the tank since the baffle system in these tanks are not properly designed to prevent this from happening...I am working on a potential fix for this but that will take additional testing by someone.

Actually I could place the skimmer in a stand which sits on the bottom instead of hanging it off a plate...this may keep the skimmer hidden...I will test that design to see if it works at the operating water level...it will be a long body.

Sorry I could not be of more help at this point!

Regards,
Robbert

Auritania

No, that is helpful. Facts and experience are always helpful even if they aren't quite what you were hoping to hear.

I'm convinced that my skimmer isn't doing what it should. I've got it running with the air full open and get very little out of it after 6+ months. 1/2" a week if I'm lucky. I know I should be getting more out of it and I'm almost positive that it's a big part of my tank not being right.

I would like to keep my system as stock as possible and all inside the factory cabinet purely for appearance sake. If there is a skimmer sticking out the top, the wife is going to moving the tank to somewhere that people won't see it and I can't really blame her.

I've 3 choices.
  • Find a better skimmer that fits inside
  • Set up a sump inside the cabinet
  • Plumb the tank into the basement system

Keeping the water inside the tank is the much preferred solution. Accidents can and do happen. Murphy is a frequent visitor to my home.