RSM 250 Skimmer Performance Poll

RSM 250 Skimmer Performance Poll

• Skimmer impeller problems (such as won't restart after powering up)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
FCatCH76 - You snuck in on us almost unseen LOL!

welcome-scuba-diver-ag1.gif

To Reef Sanctuary and the RSM Club! Tell us more about your tank, or better yet start a tank thread we can follow. :)

FCatCH76

FCatCH76 - You snuck in on us almost unseen LOL!

welcome-scuba-diver-ag1.gif

To Reef Sanctuary and the RSM Club! Tell us more about your tank, or better yet start a tank thread we can follow. :)

LOL, I didn't mean to..I promise. What you guys are doing here is great, I thought I was alone out there knowing there are owners of this beautiful tank but thought " am I the only one with these skimmer/ heat issues??"

I found the thread by typing the "RSM250 sucks"...lol. Low and behold I signed in and realized that I had an account...:dance:.

Once things slow down for me I will surely post my tank and history on here.

Thanks for being here and a big thank you for the WELCOME!!

Blurp

Ok, I'm happy with the skimming, but noticed heat & noise problems and some days ago had also problems with the impeller getting stuck, had to clean the pump accurately, and remove a thin layer of the rubber end (less than 1/2 mm) which did not allow the magnet to turn free.

Once solved (more or less, since I don't think that DIY is the good way) I'm happy with the skimming performance...;)

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I loved this part!

"I found the thread by typing the "RSM250 sucks"...lol. Low and behold I signed in and realized that I had an account..."

Looking forward to that tank thread and some history!

RaysReef

Has been struck by the ban stick
I'm waiting for steveh to come back from a vacation (back on the 14th Sept) before I can speak with him...

RaysReef

Has been struck by the ban stick
...had to clean the pump accurately, and remove a thin layer of the rubber end (less than 1/2 mm) which did not allow the magnet to turn free.

That's interesting Blurp .... remove a thin layer of the rubber end...

I will try that if I have problems with my new impeller, which I should get this week. Shame you didn't take some pictures so we can all see exactly what you mean...

websurfer

Ya this is getting to the point or driving me insane

I did go with a smaller chiller ....but when i first got my tank it only ran every few hours ,,,
last night i got home around 6:30pm my tank temp was at 81 the skimmer was not working but the pump was on....

Took out the pump and that thing was very hot ....

took me about 45 min to get it working again ...

To say the least me chiller ran for another 4 hours and the temp did not drop...

Turned the damn thing off ...
My temp started to go down very fast ...

how can a pump make my tank got up 3d and then keep my chiller running so long .....

Very bad

Auritania

I'm not happy with my skimmer. I only voted that I'm not getting much out of it, but that's probably because I haven't considered the temperature angle and the sound issue isn't horrible. The chiller drowns it out. (I think I see something here...)

The tank just won't stabilize for me and it's starting to tick me off. I got out of the hobby a lot of years ago and then my wife saw the 250 and wanted one in the worst way. So, I gave in and what has followed has been a very expensive reminder of a big reason I got out. This time around, I have a lot more cash to throw at the problems but up to a limit.

I've resurrected my 300 gallon 3 tank setup in the basement. That's been going great. In half the time it's performing infinitely better.

But this 250 has got me stumped. There is something just "not right" with it and more than a couple people have tried looking at it. About a dozen people have looked at the setup (I've had it since Feb or March) and they come up with the same set of issues.

#1 - The back compartments are garbage traps
#2 - The skimmer is, well, the nicest comment so far is "interesting"
#3 - The hood is a cheap POS but it looks amazing with the tank
#4 - For that sort of money, it should be a lot nicer
#5 - What the *&$^@# is with the bubbles??

But, without exception, they all think it's a really nice looking thing. It's just a shame it looks magnitudes of order better than it performs.

I'm going to keep struggling with it. My current crusade is the skimmer. My options are:

#1 - Replace it with something else
#2 - Put in a sump
#3 - Plumb the whole thing into the basement system
#4 - re-engineer the existing skimmer (this implies I'm smarter than Red Sea which normally I would think impossible, but the more I delve into their hardware....)

All of them pretty much negate the whole idea of an all-in-one leak proof system which was one of the major selling points.

So, yeah. The skimmer sucks. In a bad way.