Recommendations for a new RSM250

chapco

Hi All,
Wife and I are new to the group, new to salt water tanks etc.

Going down next week to buy a RSM250 to set up as a reef tank.
I know the standard stuff that comes with the kit is "OK" for starters, but we are considering a few additions since we would like to have a nice operating system.
Additionally our house was built with a cubby space behind the location we are putting the tank, so we can plumb any external add on through the wall to a the space that we have lots of access and water supply.

We have some questions about some options>

Since we live in the High Desert we get warmer summers. We have an AC unit but our house sits at about 78 degrees in the summer and we figure we should just buy a chiller (1/6 HP) and larger pump to go with it to play it safe. *Please share recommendations.

I see many people are using sumps with an extra skimmer, any recommendations or is this even needed?

I look forward to sharing our experiences with everyone as we progress.

Brent (CHAPCO)

Dweezil

Brent ~ Welcome to RS and congratulations on getting your new tank.
You've found the best forum in the world for information IMO. I don't have the 250, I have the 130D so I will let them address some of your specific questions. I do think a chiller is a good idea for temp stability especially in a warmer climate. I'm sure you've read by now that we all love pictures, so when you pick up your tank start up a tank thread and post some as you go along. :)

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
Welcome to RS Brent. You are going to love your tank. Lot's of very helpful people on this forum.

With regards to a chiller, I didn't hesitate in getting one. It gets very hot here in Australia and I didn't want the worry of high water temps. It is good insurance to have. The pump that I used for it was an Eheim 2000 Compact. It fits nicely in place of pump no.2. Alternatively, you can fit an external one but I like the neatness of it all.

Some of us have had problems with the stock skimmer but hopefully yours will come with the upgraded skimmer pump. They are terrific by all reports.

Good luck and remember, we all love pics.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Brent - :welcomera to Reef Sanctuary and the RSM Club! No 250 here (130), but I agree that under your conditions the chiller may be a good add-on. As Oakhouse said, a sump can always be added at a later time. If possible leave some space on both sides of the tank to make maintenance easier, and maybe 5-7 inches behind the tank for the same reason.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Hi Brent,

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary and RSM club, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

The RSM 250 is one beautiful tank - be sure to start a tank thread, looking forward to seeing your pics & watching it progress !

+1 to above advise - as you have questions, feel free to ask away, no dumb questions here & no flames - only lots of supportive members.

tnwillia

+1 Chiller & ATO first you'll need them. See what your tank will do stock and then you can go from there. Go Slow and read, read, read here. I found answers to about every question I had in this Forum. There is no better forum on the Red Sea 130 & 250. Congratulations on your 250 and have fun with it!

chapco

Thanks for all of the recommendations! The tank has been ordered and will hopefully be arriving next week. We are very excited to say the least.

We are going to purchase a 1/4 hp chiller as well as a pump to run it and we want to set up an ATO system also. In regards to the chiller, would you recommend an internal pump to replace the right side pump or an external pump? We are considering purchasing a sump in the future but it might not be for a while.

Does anyone have experience using an ATO system in a RSM 250 without a sump? Where do you install the float and where does the top off water get deposited?

Thanks again!

Oakhouse

Hi Chapco. I use a Tunze Osmolator, others use JBJ i think, there are plenty of different varieties, my thread shows the installation I have. http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...307-richards-rsm250-journey-4.html#post715993

I'm sure others will join in and let you know what they use.

In terms of the pump, I'll let one that uses a chiller to answer. Would be quite interested in the answer too as I will probably end up with a chiller when we get closer to summer.

Auritania

Maybe a little late on this one, but as for the chiller size, I would say that the 1/6 might work ok. The 1/4 might be a little too much and cause some short cycle times. I've got a 1/10 on my 250, but I don't have the same ambient heat issues.

In regards to plumbing, I took the right side circulation pump and re-routed it to the chiller instead of into the tank. The chiller return is then connected directly to the tank so that water from the chiller runs directly into the display side. It eliminates one pump and all the potential complications that come with it. Specifically, I don't have an extra power cord to deal with at the wet end of things.

dankent

:welcomera

Since your new to saltwater and this being a fantanstic tank to start with .... Other then adding the chiller I would personnally say do not add anything. Take your time and get to know your tank and how it works take lots of pics of parts before you put it all together so you can reference them later on if needed.

Also while your learning the chemistry and cycle behavior you will have the time cause you will be taking it slow :) to read up the forums and various links in posts of what people do with or without success.

On its own the tank is a great complete starter kit and if its running correctly and the owners are not rushing things .... this will serve you well in the long run.

Good luck and try not to overwelm yourself ... :woohoo:

Make sure you post pics :) we like those here ... hehe And never be afraid to ask questions ... people here are super friendly and very knowledgable.

chapco

Thanks for all of the wonderful advice. We have assembled the tank and have been waiting for our RO/DI unit to arrive (UPS says it should be arriving today). Have not ordered a chiller or chiller pump but will probably be going with a 1/5 hp with an external pump. Waiting on more funds before we can order the chiller!

So far here is what we have for the tank:
JBJ ATO with small dosing pump
80 lbs sand (40 lbs Aragonite, 40 lbs Caribbean live sand)
Kent Sea Salt Mix
Typhoon 5 Stage RO/DI
API Saltwater Test Kit (pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate)
Coralife Hydrometer (wondering if we need to order a refractometer)

I have a few questions before we fill this beauty with water. If we do not use the Bio Balls and stick with only Chemi Pure Elite is there something we can stick inside the chamber for the CPE to rest on that allows for proper water flow? Any suggestions? We plan on using about 70-80 lbs live rock from our lfs so I am pretty sure that the live rock and 80 lbs of sand will suffice for bio filtration.

Also, when performing water changes and removing the water from the tank is it advisable to not siphon the sand? I spent a lot of time siphoning sand from my freshwater tank and it appears this is not recommended with a reef tank.

Pictures will be posted once the live rock is in place!

-Chapco

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
It sounds like you're well on your way now.

Your tank should have come with a plastic shelf that sits in the rear chamber that seperates the bioballs from the carbon. If you don't use the balls you should still be able to put the shelf in and sit the CPE on top of it. It does tend to float up though. This is what I did once the RS carbon was used up and I didn't want the bioballs anymore. Good luck.