Noise, high temp, now BROKEN skimmer pump - RSM will not replace with new sicce pump

JPsnaps

I bought my RSM250 last March and have always had the problem with noise and high temp so I didn't used it for most of this year. Recently we started using the skimmer (waste of money not to right?) and it stopped working. I have contacted RSM and Pinky said that they currently only carry the old pumps and there's nothing wrong with them, BUT I can buy one for $65 for the "upgraded" version when they have the Sicce in stock again. But they will not replace the original pumps with the new spicce pumps.

So I guess you can't get a Sicce pump even if you have the original and it's broken because they say it's still a good pump despite other people other than myself having issues.

Here's the email I got - "The pumps were not a recall so the pumps we have here are going to replace warranty pumps. Once you get the pump we do not replace it again with the upgrade. You can purchase the pump if you want to when it comes in. 65.00 plus shipping. We have sold thousands and are doing well."

Why are they selling thousands if their old original pumps are still good?

I don't know, but I feel a bit stupid for buying the RSM250 so early. I should have waited for more reviews on the product. It sounds like they still have plenty of the original pumps left so if you're thinking of buying a RSM250 in the US I'd wait until all tanks are sold with the new sicce pumps. Even if they tell you that they will replace the pump if it breaks on you, they will just replace it with the same pump you had problems with since they consider it a good pump still.

Despite this bad experience, I still like the tank. I'm just a bit disappointed. :(

Last edited:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Re: Noise, high temp, BAD skimmer pump - RSM will not replace with new sicce pump

It's not a recall but an improvement. They realized the other one could be better and improved it. It's like new technology on your car. It improves year after year. As long as it out-lives the warranty on the part then it's not a recall or warranty issue. I can understand you'd like it to be replaced with the upgraded pump (so would I) but it's not been recalled . . .

Manics1

Re: Noise, high temp, BAD skimmer pump - RSM will not replace with new sicce pump

I'm disappointed too, l bit the bullet and threw out all the garbage RS pumps and skimmer and bought a euroreef skimmer and Tunze Silence pumps. We couldn't put up with the awful noise in the living room any longer.

Maybe some pumps are skimmers are 'ok', mine were 100% not.

Manics1

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Re: Noise, high temp, now BROKEN skimmer pump - RSM will not replace with new sicce p

We have sold thousands and are doing well

I think she was referring to RSM 250 AIO tanks, with the Hydor pumps in them.

I want a RSM 250, but I will either wait for the 250 to start shipping with the sicce pumps, or consider, the cost I can obtain a new one at, to be plus $65 & shipping.

Looks like Red Sea is sticking with... the company line, a very small % of the thousand sold have problems.

The new sicce pump have been having very good reviews, might just be best to get a replacement pump for the problem one & then buy the new sicce and solve the problem. What I think I would do...

Auritania

Re: Noise, high temp, now BROKEN skimmer pump - RSM will not replace with new sicce p

I wouldn't hesitate with the old pump for the skimmer. I've been paying even more attention to the tank and have to say, the new sicce pump isn't really any better. The only issue with the old pump is that it stopped working after 9 months or so. I'm not seeing any change in foam production, no change in temperature and it turns out that the 100% of the noise is the collection cup rattling on the skimmer body. I thought it was the body against the wall, but a few days ago I realized that it was the cup and my foam wedge just happened to take care of it. Now, I just put some foam near the top to damp the play in the cup and it's silent. As in I don't even hear the pumps at all silent which is sort of annoying now because I got so accustomed to the pump noise that the silence is deafening.

medwsc

Hi, we have experienced heat and noise issues also since receiving our RSM 250 a few weeks ago. We have tried everything (literally) to resolve the issue but no joy. Steve H from Red Sea Arcadia has been in touch and is sending us a new plastic skimmer housing and a new pump no1 - we have already had the black sicce replacement skimmer pump which sadly made little difference to our problems. I just thought I'd let you know that providing you're in warranty, you should get good service from Red Sea ;) - so keep at them!!

Good luck!

br.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

..... Why are they selling thousands if their old original pumps are still good?

Very good question! It might be worth it to buy one, but it doesn't seem fair at all.

By the way I don't think I ever gave you a .....

welcome-rainbow-rotate-ag1.gif

We'd all love to see your tank if you'd like to start a tank thread. :)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

+1 It might be worth it to buy one, but it doesn't seem fair at all.

Auritania

Hi, we have experienced heat and noise issues also since receiving our RSM 250 a few weeks ago. We have tried everything (literally) to resolve the issue but no joy.

The heat issues I have are from the lights. There is absolutely no question. That's the beauty of having an internet connected controller. I have 1 minute resolution graphs of temperature/chiller/lights and it's linked.

The noise was just a matter of finally deciding to deal with it. I killed all the pumps and brought them back up one by one. I started with the two circ pumps and all was quiet.

Then I turned on the skimmer (with new sicce pump). It was noisy as can be. I pulled the collection cup off and suddenly it was quiet. Just the constant fizz of bubbles. The noise wasn't the pump itself, it was the collection cup. So I put the cup back on without the lid and it was noisy again. I held my hand on the cup and the noise was gone again. I took my chunk of closed cell foam and wedged it between the back wall and the collection cup and all was still quiet. Re-assembled the entire thing and it was nearly silent except for the sound of water moving. No humming anywhere.

So I started playing around with the parts again and found that all my noise is coming from where the cup sits on the skimmer body. I don't know if it's the bubbles pushing up or the vibration through the junction, but there is definitely a noise from the two plastic pieces moving against each other. I didn't see any obvious wear, but that's not to say that there isn't any.

It also got me to thinking (scary as that can be). My Octopus skimmer on my main system has a rubber ring holding the collection cup. The top lid does not. At certain water levels, that skimmer makes noise and I just take the top lid off. The inside of a skimmer is a pretty violent place. Cavitation (bubbles bursting underwater) is absurdly powerful. I work on diesel engines and I've got cylinder liners where cavitation in the cooling system has eaten through 1/2" of steel in less than a year. I can't see where this process isn't somewhat at play inside our skimmers.

So, to make a lot of talk real short, I found all my noise coming from where the skimmer pieces fit together and all my heat is from the lights.

Even though first look said pumps, it turned out that the pumps never were a problem. They were only a problem when they flat out wouldn't start.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Interesting and good information that might help others quiet the skimmer.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

Auritania - thanks for the info !

I bought my RSM250 last March and have always had the problem with noise and high temp so I didn't used it for most of this year. Recently we started using the skimmer (waste of money not to right?) and it stopped working. I have contacted RSM and Pinky said that they currently only carry the old pumps and there's nothing wrong with them, BUT I can buy one for $65 for the "upgraded" version when they have the Sicce in stock again. But they will not replace the original pumps with the new spicce pumps.

So I guess you can't get a Sicce pump even if you have the original and it's broken because they say it's still a good pump despite other people other than myself having issues.

Here's the email I got - "The pumps were not a recall so the pumps we have here are going to replace warranty pumps. Once you get the pump we do not replace it again with the upgrade. You can purchase the pump if you want to when it comes in. 65.00 plus shipping. We have sold thousands and are doing well."

Why are they selling thousands if their old original pumps are still good?

I don't know, but I feel a bit stupid for buying the RSM250 so early. I should have waited for more reviews on the product. It sounds like they still have plenty of the original pumps left so if you're thinking of buying a RSM250 in the US I'd wait until all tanks are sold with the new sicce pumps. Even if they tell you that they will replace the pump if it breaks on you, they will just replace it with the same pump you had problems with since they consider it a good pump still.

Despite this bad experience, I still like the tank. I'm just a bit disappointed. :(

I'm on the same boat and also think its unfair. Click Link to read more

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/54867-weird-but-true.html

nanoskim

The heat issues I have are from the lights. There is absolutely no question. That's the beauty of having an internet connected controller. I have 1 minute resolution graphs of temperature/chiller/lights and it's linked.

It also got me to thinking (scary as that can be). My Octopus skimmer on my main system has a rubber ring holding the collection cup. The top lid does not. At certain water levels, that skimmer makes noise and I just take the top lid off. The inside of a skimmer is a pretty violent place. Cavitation (bubbles bursting underwater) is absurdly powerful. I work on diesel engines and I've got cylinder liners where cavitation in the cooling system has eaten through 1/2" of steel in less than a year. I can't see where this process isn't somewhat at play inside our skimmers.

Imagine what a skimmer pump impeller has to endure:

1. Water pressure
2. Salt
3. High pH levels
4. Exploding bubbles blasting away at the impeller material
5. High rotation speeds
6. Debris lodging in the mesh material
7. Slime coat buildup

As a skimmer manufacturer this is a very tough design/material problem and I have come to the conclusion that these impellers are simply wear out items with a certain lifespan and need to be replaced at the end of life.

I had to finally choose the toughest material I could find, the hardest next to diamond. Unfortunately, as some of our customers already know, it is also very expensive but it is also the best mesh material to make the finest bubbles and lots of foam which means the highest efficiency possible using a small pump and tuned venturi.

Hopefully this information will help in understanding why a skimmer manufacturer has to limit his warranty on the impeller.

Regards,
Robbert
Nanoreefsystems

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

Hopefully this information will help in understanding why a skimmer manufacturer has to limit his warranty on the impeller.

Red Sea warranty on everything is one year, after this you have to buy them - more than fair, but most of these pumps, stop working after just a couple of months it seems & the replacement impellers & pumps too.

I have had my RSM 130D for 11 months now, running stock & not one problem, I am sure the RSM 250 owners wish they could say the same.

tvreaves

I'm one of the RSM 250 owners that wishes I could say the same. My Hydor stopped after 3 days. I just recieved the replacement...another Hydor. I'm frustrated because I am sure we will have to go through this again. I hope I am wrong.