Search results

1. V

Frag tank

Hello all! I am starting a frag tank and would like some advice from you vets. You willl see the design of it below. I am doing this trough style instead of a tank. I have posted the links to the troughs below. It will be a 50 gallon trough for the frags with a 110 gallon sump/trouguh beneath...
  2. V

Problem with Hammer

My large purple hammer has not been opening well lately. I noticed that many of the heads have something that appears to be pinching the stems of the polyps. See the picture and let me know if any one has an idea what this might be. I can't tell with the magnifying glass if it is a pest or...
  3. V

Need help with soft coral issue

Everytime I have had a problem in my tank everyone here at RS has been able to help me out. I am hoping this time is no different. I am having issues with my Ricordeas and yumas. I tested the parameters and everything was right on. Ammonia 0 Phosphates 0-5 Treated 0 Trites 0 Calcium 420...
  4. V

Bad sponge?

I have 3 of theses green sponges in one area of my tank. Anyone know if they are good or bad?
  5. V

These T5 lights

Does anyone have any experience with these T5 lights? Aquarium Light 48" 324W T5 HO Hood LCD Timer Coral Reef 6x54 Fluorescent Actinic | eBay They are all over eBay and the price is great. I would be using these for a frag tank so I don't want to spend a lot on a high end fixture that has...
  6. V

Pistol shrimp causing damage

So I have had a pistol shrimp in my reef for about 6 months that I know of. He lives at the bottom beneath a large rock and I never see him come out. I am positive though that it is a pistol shrimp since I have seen his claws and face. He regularly makes the popping noise. My problem is that...
  7. V

Lighting for frag tank

I am starting a frag tank (more like a tub) and I am trying to figure out what you all recommend for lighting. I am thinking LED but I know I do not need EcoTech Radions. Is anyone familiar with EcoRay?
  8. V

Need help with prized euphylia

I have an incredible neon yellow and purple hammer that I have had for about six months. It has thrived. Well, last night it started looking closed up with droopy tentacles. I gave it some coral amino from bright well. Nothing else in the tank is struggling. The coral has two mouths and one is...
  9. V

Milwaukee or Pinpoint salinity devices

I need a good refractomoter and I was going to purchase the digital Milwaukee until I also noticed the Pinpoint probe. Any suggestions on which is better?
  10. V

Pods eating my Hammer coral?

I have a very nice orange hammer coral that has been fighting brown jelly disease for about two weeks. I initially fragged it and thought it worked. However, the bjd did not stop. I have now done two dips with Lugols in the past five days. I actually cannot see any brown jelly anymore but it is...
  11. V

Deltec MC500 not working

I have been running a deltec mc500 in my RSM 250 for about two months. Last week it stopped foaming. The pump is pumping water, however no foam is being created. The water level does not even reach the cup. I pulled it out today to see if something was blocking up the pump but I couldn't...
  12. V

Changing Tanks

Ok, so my RSM 250 has been running for 11 months now. I have had a small leak in the tank and Red Sea sent me a new tank to switch out the old one. I want to map this out and do it right. Can anyone with experience help me so I can avoid losing livestock. I have about 15 corals and 8 fish in...
  13. V

How often do you change your carbon

I have been running carbon in my tank for a few months. I know that the carbon expires very quickly once it is installed in the tank. My question is how often those of you who run carbon change it out? I have been changing mine about every 3 weeks.
  14. V

Tunze Osmolator

I purchased and received a tunze osmolator yesterday. I hooked everything up according to the directions. Plugged it in to test it and it seemed to be working fine. I then proceeded to work on hooking up my new chiller and the osmolator started coming on every 20 seconds or so. It would come...
  15. V

Help with ammonia

I tested my water last evening and it showed a small amount of ammonia. I had some AmmoLock from API that I have never used before but kept on hand for situations like this. I used it as directed. This morning I tested the water and the ammonia is high. Fish are still swimming around though...
  16. V

Which pump for JBJ chiller

I am purchasing an Artica chiller and wanted to know what pump is recommended to run it.
  17. V

Reducing water flow in RSM 250

I am having issues with too much water flow on the left side (more powerful pump) in my tank. I have tried to move the rock setup closer to it and tried changing the direction, but no matter what I do it is still too much. All corals I put on that side of the tank will not open up and I end up...
  18. V

Problems in my 250

So my tank was running perfectly fine for months now. About 3 weeks ago I noticed all of my corals closing up one day and something looked wrong. Tested the ammonia first and....ding ding ding...showed up for a minor amount. Did a rapid water change and installed carbon. Tank went back to...
  19. V

Chiller

I need to install a chiller on my 65 gallon RSM 250. I have always heard JBJ Arctica chillers were good, but I wanted to get some opinions here since they are not cheap and I only want to do this once. I would like to keep the chille rin the cabinet beneath the tank. I plan to add vents in...
  20. V

Leaking RSM 250

I have a 250 that is 2.5 months old. This week a leak started beneath the powerbar area at the bottom, back right corner. There are three little holes there and water is slowly coming out of them. I pulled the powerbar out and you can feel the water below it. It is so much that I have to...