Tunze Osmolator

ViperDoug

I purchased and received a tunze osmolator yesterday. I hooked everything up according to the directions. Plugged it in to test it and it seemed to be working fine. I then proceeded to work on hooking up my new chiller and the osmolator started coming on every 20 seconds or so. It would come on and run for about 5-10 seconds and shut off. I rechecked everything and can't seem to figure out why it is doing this. I am going to call Marine Depot today and see if they know, but I thought I would check here as well. I hope I am doing something wrong and that it is not a faulty product. I have the operating sensor and the safety sensor on the same magnet. The controller box is in the cabinet beneath the tank. My tank is a Red Sea Max 250 and I have the magnet with the sensors in the back section of the tank where the carbon and bio media are. Any thoughts?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Did you thoroughly clean the "Sensor" unit? Sometimes oil or other "chemicals will cause microbubbles to form on the underside and it will read these as "Low surface water level" and cycle ON the pump.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I'm having a problem with my new one. Doesn't seem that the water low sensor is working at all. I've tried cleaning it with no success. It comes on works for that initial pump when I first plug it in, so I know the pump works. Anyone have this problem. I may have to give them a call, too.

ViperDoug

I ended up trying a few different things that Roger and Al suggested. None of them worked so Roger sent me another one. I hooked it up this morning and it appears to be working properly. Give Roger at Tunze a call. Let me know if you need his number. I would send it now but it is at my office.

Just to throw my 2 cents in, I has the same problem initially with a new osmolator. It seems they need some break in time. After about a day or so it stopped coming on constantly and has worked fine ever since. Been running it for a year with no problems. I think it has something to do with the optical sensor needing to build a level of slimecoat on it kind of like a skimmer.

ViperDoug

I received a new one from Roger at Tunze and it works perfectly fine. Mine was clearly a bad sensor. I tried all of Roger's suggested tricks butnothing worked. Enjoying a working one now. Tunze has great customer service.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
i got a new sensor from Roger, responded and delivered very quickly. The new one is working at this time.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
John, thanks for the update! Roger has helped many and all I hear is great things about the Customer Service. That helps make the slightly elevated initial price easier to accept :) After going TUNZE Osmlator I wouldn't have anything else.