Pistol shrimp causing damage

ViperDoug

So I have had a pistol shrimp in my reef for about 6 months that I know of. He lives at the bottom beneath a large rock and I never see him come out. I am positive though that it is a pistol shrimp since I have seen his claws and face. He regularly makes the popping noise. My problem is that he is killing all of my snails and seems to be breaking off small pieces of rock. I am constantly picking up the snail shells by his hole. I have read that these guys are harmless, but mine seems to be killing a lot of snails. Is this normal and is it ok to leave him, or should I try and get him out of there? I used to have two and I was able to get the other one out.

steved13

PREMIUM
A couple of thoughts:

If he's hungry he's going to find food. Try placing some food near his cave.

I'd leave the snail shells, he might be using them to build his cave, when you remove them, you may be forcing him to find more.

sk8rdn

Has been struck by the ban stick
Also, consider a goby for him to pair with... Then he might come out more :)

....Secret Super Hero....

ViperDoug

OK, what is the best thing to feed him? One problem with trying to feed him is that he won't come out and if I leave food there, it won't last but a few seconds before the snails and fish get it.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
OK, what is the best thing to feed him? One problem with trying to feed him is that he won't come out and if I leave food there, it won't last but a few seconds before the snails and fish get it.

He obviously has a penchant for snails. :D

.............stay thirsty my friend.