Deltec MC500 not working

ViperDoug

I have been running a deltec mc500 in my RSM 250 for about two months. Last week it stopped foaming. The pump is pumping water, however no foam is being created. The water level does not even reach the cup. I pulled it out today to see if something was blocking up the pump but I couldn't find anything. I put it in a 5 gal bucket and videoed it. See the link below. I have tried it with the air tub completely open and closed. Any ideas???

Deltec mc500 - YouTube

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
Sorry I'm not familiar with that system, but did you try blowing into the tube while it's running to make sure there are no obstructions?

ViperDoug

No, but that's a good idea! That is why I posted this.....I'm sure you good people will get me back on track. BTW, your corals are looking good in my tank. I ended up losing the neon candy cane coral, but the rest are doing great!

tnwillia

Look where the airline goes into the pump, my 9002 use to build up calcium in there and block all the time. PITA to get it cleaned out even vinager had a hard time. Good luck!

ViperDoug

Thanks Tom! I will check that.

Jared, no need for that. I literally pulled it from the tank last week. It was definitely my fault it died. Thaks for the geerous offer though!

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
Well if you do order again I will still throw something extra in, I just can't help myself. I hope you get your skimmer working easily.

catran

Yep, Jared's right. Looks like theirs something along the airline parts blocking the air.

ViperDoug

I removed the airline tube and could not find anything blocking it. The pump is literally brand new.....it has only been runninng for about 2 months if not less. Any other ideas?

ReefPaddy

Check the air intake into the pump, not the actual tubing but the connection on the pump itself. Use a pin or something to make sure its not blocked.

ViperDoug

Thanks to all who helped. It turns out the the ball valve on the air tubing was broken and would sometimes open when I would turn it and other times would not. I replaced it for a whopping $.51 and the skimmer worked.

However, after working fine for about 5 days and skimming great, it appears I am still having a problem. The skimmer is foaming, but I cannot get the foam to come up into the cup. I spent an hour last night playing with water levels, etc. trying to fix it to no avail. Again, any ideas???

tnwillia

I'd guess it's just your water. You've done a lot in the last few weeks. I'd just let it run for a month or so and see if you get back to where you were after all the slime builds back up on the skimmer body. Have you never seen a period where it does this for a while? My skimmer (not Deltec) does this now and then.

Frankie

RS STAFF
How is your salinity? A low salinity will cause a skimmer to not function properly.

Sent from my GSG4 communicator using Forum Runner

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
The skimmer is foaming, but I cannot get the foam to come up into the cup.

just a guess... but when I read this ^ ... I think water level consistency, do you have an ato or do you manually topoff ?

ViperDoug

I do have an ato so the water level has been staying constant. I will let it run for a couple of weeks and report back if it changes at all. It's just weird since it was running great for 5 days then the foam simply stopped coming up in the cup. I will check the salinity as well. Thanks again all for the help!

ReefPaddy

I've got the MCE300 and it took nearly 2 weeks before anything hit the collection cup. It also looked like the water/bubble was low but it just takes time for a new skimmer to break in sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk