Bad sponge?

ViperDoug

I have 3 of theses green sponges in one area of my tank. Anyone know if they are good or bad?
128AF333-B02D-477D-99B6-F95827D7F32C-17427-00001154FC0B96B2.jpg

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Looks cool, I've found sponges to be pretty harmless. As long as its not impinging on coral grounds, I'd keep it. In fact, I have a ricordea growing right on top of a black sponge in my tank.

ViperDoug

Thanks! There are three of them and they have been there for about a month or so. My concern car this past weekend. They are right near a beautiful ricordea garden I have (had) and the other day a few of the Rick shriveled up. Two of them completely disappeared. Nothing else in the tank is struggling and parameters were right on when I check ammonia, trates, trites, and phosphates. Only this section of the tank seemed to have anything affected. I also have a pistol shrimp living amongst the rics. Any chance him or my flame angel are eating the rics?

ViperDoug

Good to know on the sponges. I guess i have something else going on with my rics. Wierd part is that only that small corner of the tank has anything affected. All other corals are looking great.