Frag tank

ViperDoug

Hello all! I am starting a frag tank and would like some advice from you vets. You willl see the design of it below. I am doing this trough style instead of a tank. I have posted the links to the troughs below. It will be a 50 gallon trough for the frags with a 110 gallon sump/trouguh beneath it. The 50 gallon trough is 4' wide and 12" tall. It is 31" front to back. I plan on using a 36" wide ATi Sunpower (6x54Watt). Does anyone thin I should use the 8 bulb fixture instead? Also, I need help determing which external pump to use for the return. I have an Iwaki on my display tank right now and it seems good. It is a little loud so I am considering a Reeflo instead. I honestly am not good about determining which pump from either of these manufacturers I would need. For reference, I plan to expand this one day by adding another 50 gallon trough. I would therefore want a pump big enough to handle that. As for a skimmer, I have a Deltec MC500 laying around that I would like to use. Does anyone think this is not big enough? Thanks in advance for all of your help!

50 gallon frag trough
Rubbermaid® Structural Foam Stock Tanks, 50 gal. Capacity - 2229927 | Tractor Supply Company

110 gallon sump
Tuff Stuff Products Heavy Duty Oval Tank, 110 gal. - 2229862 | Tractor Supply Company

Fragtankdesign.jpg

Blue Space

Sounds experimental... I've not seen this type of setup before but will be tagging along to see it take shape. Pls post lots of pics so folks can get a better handle on what is going on.

ViperDoug

Will do. I got the idea from my LFS. They use the nice blue, fiberglass troughs that you can get from Aquatic Ecosystems. I wanted one of those but could not justify spending $500 on a fiberglass trough. It was the shipping that made it so expensive. This setup makes it extremely easy to work with.

BLADEYAMAHA

The shallow troughs from Tractor Supply work well with egg crate to suspend with and Metal Halides as light source, just do the plumbing and a large trough as your sump and its good to go, just use lots of live rock in the large sump and a huge skimmer. :)