Help with ammonia

ViperDoug

I tested my water last evening and it showed a small amount of ammonia. I had some AmmoLock from API that I have never used before but kept on hand for situations like this. I used it as directed. This morning I tested the water and the ammonia is high. Fish are still swimming around though. I immediately did a 20% water change and waited about 10 minutes. Retested and ammonia was still high. The tank is a RSM 250 and the piece of crap skimmer does not appear to be working. I have a Deltec I just purchased used from a member on here but I am waiting for a new pump for it from Deltec. Any suggestions on what I can do to remove the ammonia before I lose everything? :cry1:

BLADEYAMAHA

Petco has or used to carry a product called well I can't remeber oh yeah it was this: Seachem Prime at PETCO Prime works immediately it may trow your tank into shock it works so good dropping the ammonia immediately so use it slow,Petco and I know Petsmart has this on hand in College Station, Texas not sure about where you live though, but it like this: Microbe-Lift Ammonia Remover at PETCO and you might want to buy and add everyday this from Petco or Petsmart called: Aquarium Water Quality & Conditioners: Stability New Tank Stabilization Water Conditioner Petsmart carries this on the Seachem Stability, it will go to work immediately on your ammonia problems and any possible nitrate and nitrite problems too same as the following> or: Aquarium Bacteria Additives: Microbe-Lift Bacterial Aquarium Balancer by Ecological Labs This one is only at Drsfostersmith.com and it works to keep your tank from cycling but makes it mature in 4 weeks, Seachem Stability does the same thing.

Anselth

Water changes! But it's also important to figure out why your ammonia spiked. Did something die and you not realize it? have you made any changes in the tank in the last few days? The skimmer shouldn't cause an ammonia issue, ammonia is handled by your biological filer. What's your stocking list look like?

Edit: also, if you can get your fish into QT, do it. Short-term Ammonia exposure can cause gill damage.

BLADEYAMAHA

Yeah, good question I was helping with the immediate problem. Thank you for following up, I did not believe it was the skimmer either, it may be a new tank I really don't know him, but something could be dead somewhere in the tank, or something else is really wrong. I basically gave him options to drop the ammonia slowly, and gave him options to get a biological booster to stop the cycling of the tank or whatever is going on, and to stabilize it for several weeks possibly with the biological supplement I've had great experience with. A thumbs up and a A plus on the question of the stocking list question.

BLADEYAMAHA

He was already doing water changes and if he had done many more his tank would definitely recycle then.

Anselth

Good point...the bio needs to catch back up with the ammonia. Need to know a bit more about the tank history.

Anselth

OK, Doug, you had an ammonia issue before. How much live rock is in your tank? To me it sounds like your biological filter is not strong enough yet, or you just don't have enough of it. Water changes really won't help in this case, your fish will always produce ammonia waste, as will anything decaying in your tank, driving it right back up. You have to increase the capacity of your tank to deal with it, or the issues will keep coming back.

BLADEYAMAHA

Ah someone that knows more of the story. Is he using carbon? How may fish does he have? How big is his tank?

steved13

PREMIUM
Adam, I think you meant water changes will help lower the ammonia but won't help long term?

Doug needs to get the ammonia down, but needs to also fix his bio filter.

Bladeyamaha, water changes will not cause a cycle. And in this case he's already in the middle of a cycle.

BLADEYAMAHA

Alright its a bio cube basically, someone has got to convince him he can only have 1/2 inch of fish per gallon total in that thing when the fish are full grown.

BLADEYAMAHA

I'm done with this till, if he has too many fish, he donates some fish to some responsible marine tank owners that can take on some fish he is willing to let go of.

ViperDoug

Ok, the tank is about 10 months old. Here is the list of stock:
2 clowns
1 tang (Kole)
1 Flame Angel
3 Green Chromis

I have a strong CUC from reefcleaner.org consisting of snails (several types) an dblue leg hermits. I also have about 75-80 lbs. of live rock. I am at a loss to what is causing this as the tank has been running fine up until about a month ago now. For the last month I have batteled with this issue, but only today has it become this high. The past month the ammonia test has showed very little ammonia. Today it was high. All other parameters test (includes: nitrite, nitrate, phosphate, calcium, magnesium, ph, and Alk. were good). I recently (last Thursday) changed one of the mechanical filter sponges in the tank. My skimmer does nto seem to be producing like it used to and I have played with it trying to get it to produce foam like it used to, but it won't change. The tank is a Red Sea Max 250 (65 gallon).

steved13

PREMIUM
Too many water changes close together will cause a cycle.

Why? Where did you get this info? Since the vast majority of the nitrifying bacteria live in the rock and substarte and very little live in the water, I don't believe your statement is correct.

ViperDoug

I put fresh carbon in it about 3 weeks ago. From what I have been told by more experienced people than myslef the carbon is essentially done doing anything right after it is installed. In other words, it will work and do its job when initially installed, but will not continue doing anything long term, say a month. Should I change the carbon to fresh carbon?