Help with ammonia

steved13

PREMIUM
but to answer your question: you want to avoid doing 100% water change bc the abrupt change will be stressful for the fish and they'll be prone to sickness, which may lead to death.

If that is to answer my question it doesn't. Doing a 100% water change is no different than taking the fish from one system to another without acclimation, that's a pretty basic no no. There was no advice given to do a 100% water change, so I fail to see the relevance. And nothing in your post or link speaks to water changes causing a cycle, which was the question.

As BlakeJohn said deaths could cause a spike and start a cycle, but not a water change.

I'm not looking for an arguement, I'm just trying to keep the info and advice accurate.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'm going to chime in here.. yes I'm coming in LATE on the topic but I want to also point out that "Frequent and/or Large Water changes" will NOT cause a cycle. A minimal amount of the beneficial bacteria is actually suspended in the water column. The majority (thank goodness) is living in a bio-film layer on everything within the aquarium including the glass, sand, rock, filters, heater, decorations etc. Truth of the matter is that if you follow solid and safe "Water Change" procedures you can do large (as much as 100% in extreme cases) water changes with little to NO stress on the tank. I think it would be VERY beneficial for people to read this link:
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...7-how-make-safe-water-change-marine-fish.html

Also maybe spend a few minutes on these two:
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...something-cycling-breaking-new-reef-tank.html

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...ners/20945-just-exactly-what-cycled-tank.html

Here is how I "think" I would have addressed the NH3/NH4 problem from the beginning:

A) Get alternate test results (another brand of tests or another test place... friend, LFS etc).
B) Prepare for a hefty water change
C) Add Amquel
D) Retest and re-act accordingly to the above results

Anytime I get a test result out of whack I will immediately re-test just in case it was user error. If I get the same results I will get an alternate test method (Test kits go bad). Then I start taking "action".

Doug it sounds like you're doing things right. Just observe your fish and stay on top of your game. Often times these are mere speed-bumps on the road of Salt Water and will only help you to learn HOW and WHY so that later down the road you will be better prepared to handle such things. It only gets easier and a lot more FUN :)

ViperDoug

Thanks Al! I am still having trouble getting the skimmer ot work correctly. It seems to be the only problem I am having in the tank and I believe it is related to a bad pump in the skimmer. It simply is not moving the water through it like I am used to seeing. I know others have said that the skimmer has nothing to do with the ammonia, but doesn't the skimmer remove nutrients from the water so that they don't decompose in the tank and thus cause the ammonia to build up? I have 80lbs of live rock in a 65 gallon tank and it has been in there since last December. The bio filter should be strong. Right?