Chiller

ViperDoug

I need to install a chiller on my 65 gallon RSM 250. I have always heard JBJ Arctica chillers were good, but I wanted to get some opinions here since they are not cheap and I only want to do this once. I would like to keep the chille rin the cabinet beneath the tank. I plan to add vents in the cabinet to help cool the chiller. Any recommendations on what brand would work best or is the most reliable. Not looking for the chepest, but the best!
Thanks!

tnwillia

Who has a JBJ 1/10 HP on their RSM 250 and running it in the cabinet. Who is running an in-cabinet chiller on their 250? I know your out there LOL, Help please!

tnwillia

Hey Doug, you may want to post this in the RSM section to get the members you really want to here from spicific to the RSM 250. I know people have chillers in their cabinets. Several are posted in the 250 mods thread. Good luck with it!

ViperDoug

Thanks Tom! I thought these things were widely used, but it seems most people don't have anything to say about them.

tnwillia

Hate to see you wait but you may get a better response over the weekend. I'll see if I can find some threads people using them. Good luck!

steved13

PREMIUM
I have the 1/10 JBJ in the cabinet. It does get a little warm in there. I would recommend adding a fan to the cabinet for circulation. Works great though.

Frankie

RS STAFF
HEy Viper :)

Your going to want a 1/4 HP chiller.

The JBJ Arctica Titanium Chiller looks pretty good.

Frankie

RS STAFF
BTW, i'm using a 1/4 HP slimeline chiller that has held up great throughout the years.

If I was going to try something new, you may want to look into SeaChill TECO also. Here is a link to a trusted outside vendor of mine.
SeaChill TECO Chillers | Aquarium Specialty

I like that you can upgrade these with heaters also.

steved13

PREMIUM
HEy Viper :)

Your going to want a 1/4 HP chiller.

The JBJ Arctica Titanium Chiller looks pretty good.

I use the 1/10th with a sump (extra pump) and pump for the pellet reactor and no problems at all works great, and a couple of inches smaller so it fits in the cabinet more easily. Unless your ambient room temp is higher, the 1/10 will work well.

Frankie

RS STAFF
What kind of lighting are you running Steve? I forget not everyone burns 400w MH's like I do. ;)

I would listen to Steve since he has the same system as you.

ViperDoug

Thank you for your replies. I am going to go with the JBJ 1/10 as some others have PM'd saying they use it with my same wetup and it works great.

mbdave

I use a 1/10 Oceanic on around 65 gallons total and it strains a little on hot days, but that could also be from the evaporator being scaled.