[NanoCube 12 DX] what now?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
How do you know when you have a Green Hair Algae problem?

When your Green Hair Algae nibbling Emerald Crab is a walking GHA garden
DSC00582.jpg

DSC00580.jpg

and . . . .

ACTION!!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
A few more pics and another short vid
Here it is right after I fooled around in the tank and really PEEZED everyone off
IMG-20120112-00278.jpg

IMG-20120112-00277.jpg

And here is just HOW much a leather can wilt for no reason in about 10 minutes
IMG-20120112-00272.jpg

IMG-20120112-00271.jpg

And here is another video of Hairy, the Green Hair Emerald Crab munching on clover.. I mean detritus

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I should have posted this hear earlier this week but totally forgot...

Ok I brought my Flipper Cleaner (Flipper Cleaner | Flipper Cleaner. The best aquarium cleaner on the market.) to my office to clean this tank. There are some places (on the right hand pane) in this tank that have coralline that's at least 1 year and possibly 2 years old. I just never bother to scrape the pane that is towards the wall.

Left Pane BEFORE Flipper
LeftSideBEFORE1.jpg

LeftSideBEFORE2.jpg

Left Pane AFTER Flipper I don't know how to show it but the time stamp from before to after is roughly 3 minutes. That includes fiddling with the camera trying to get it to focus on the far pane not the front glass.

LeftSideAFTER.jpg

Right pane BEFORE Flipper (this is the THICK OLD coralline)
RightSideBEFORE1.jpg

Right pane AFTER Flipper (took some elbow work)
RightSideAFTER1.jpg

and just for fun (I'm just kidding it wasn't fun to video AND scrape LOL) here's a short video of it in action

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
That I can do Keith :)

I'm really enjoying my work tank all over again. I had neglected it for a good long time now and it was in need of some TLC.

Here is what it had going on before this weekend:

• Blue LEDs inoperative
  • Serious GHA outbreak
  • Glass WAY over due for serious scraping (coralline taking over)
  • Waaayyyy to much Live Rock in the tank
  • Only coral in the tank was a 4 year old Devils Finger Leather

So after bringing home my goodies from the swap meet I decided to get serious.

• I took the LED hood home and spent literally 4 hours tracing wires to locate and fix the problem.
  • Pulled out all the Live Rock and scrubbed them clean
  • Used my Flipper Cleaner (Way over-kill for my 12g NanoCube glass) to clean the glass spotless
  • Did a 100% water change while cleaning out the back compartments
  • Pulled all the live rock except a large piece and a small piece (very light bioload on this tank)
  • Added the Toadstool, Zoa Rock, and GSP Tonga Rock from the swap.

My tank looks soooooo cool. I'm completely re-energized about this tank and so glad yall motivated me to get it back in shape again. Maybe after work today I'll finish "Scaping" (not a lot to scape but I want things to be positioned better for viewing purposes etc) and once it's how I want it to be I'll snap some pictures.

One thing I'd done is I have an old "crashed airplane" decoration that I've had for years. It's been in about 5 different tanks and has finally made it into this work tank about 6 months ago. It's got some "fake/painted" coral on it but I'm working to get some REAL coral growing on it. I've placed a frag of "Orange Zoas", small broken frag of Alien Eyes, and I have a pair of Sunny Delights to glue to it next. I'd love to make a really cool "Zoa Rock" out of it. I need to take some BEFORE pics so we'll see how it progresses.

Here is a "Pre" rescape picture

2012-04-24164947.jpg

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Time to bring this thread back to life....

I just ordered a "Steve'sLED" retro kit for this tank. Here's the low-down on this unit:

9- Royal Blue Luxeon ES 3 watt LEDs

5- 5,000K Neutral White Luxeon ES 3 watt LEDs

and it's 95% built when it arrives. I make a few connections, mount it in the hood and I'm good to go. I'll post more details when it gets here. It should ship to me in 48hrs which means i should see it early next week.

:D

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
New lights came in today. Great packaging and the connections (LED to extension to Driver) was a simple Click > Click > Click. No soldering at all.

I'll be installing it into the NanoCube hood tomorrow night and I'll take pictures all along the way.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I got the new lights installed last night. I am simply amazed at just how EASY this install was. Of course I did order the 95% complete kit but still. It took me longer to get the splash shield off than to do the rest of the install. Keep in mind I went from a DIY LED to a StevesLED so I already had holes cut for dimmer knobs and such. I'm going to try and do a stand-alone write up later today. If I do that I'll just link it here and if I don't do a stand alone I'll write it up here.

On a not so great note.. my Orange Spotted Goby (Amblyeleotris guttata) decided to go carpet (err mouse pad) surfing last night with the lid off. I came in this morning and right beside my mouse was the goby

2013-01-30074148.jpg

Oh well... things happen :dunno:

Tjr1992

If you're still having problems with the GHA or bryopsis, might i suggest taking a 60ml syringe and spot treating it with H202? I use about 10ml a day in my 20 gallon, so it's pretty safe to say that 5ml a day wouldn't hurt yours. I've actually taken my LR out of my tank and sprayed with H2O2 and then rinsed it during a water change. I should've taken some before and after pictures. It's about 4 days later and the results are tremendous!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
If you're still having problems with the GHA or bryopsis, might i suggest taking a 60ml syringe and spot treating it with H202? I use about 10ml a day in my 20 gallon, so it's pretty safe to say that 5ml a day wouldn't hurt yours. I've actually taken my LR out of my tank and sprayed with H2O2 and then rinsed it during a water change. I should've taken some before and after pictures. It's about 4 days later and the results are tremendous!

Thank you Tjr1992 but I think I've got it well under control now. If it comes back I'll re-visit the H2O2 as I've had good luck with it on frags in the past.

I finally got everything in order and wrote a detailed review of my LED upgrade. Check it out at
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/led-lighting/83532-nanocube-12g-retrofit-led.html#post1160093

I've got some SPS I'm going to frag this weekend and put into this tank and I will probably move one of my RBTA into this tank in a few weeks. I can't wait to watch this tank come back to life with... well LIFE :d