[NanoCube 12 DX] what now?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'm not running a Sump on this system at all. It's an All-In-One sitting on my desk here at work.

degibson84

has it helped control any nuisance algae? I just ordered one for my 75 and was just looking to see how affective it will be. If it works as good as some say then i may order a second and put them both on my 220 once i get it setup. also did you "seed" the unit by rubbing algae on the screen?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
It has worked great on this tank. It took longer to get going than I expected but once it did it has really done great. I only have one area with algae on it and it's receding daily.

Just keep in mind the glass thickness limitation of the HOG unit. If you have thicker glass you might have to use stronger magnets. Well worth it IMHO.

sent from Outer Space via Droid Razr Maxx

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
The new LED look GREAT! I'm really liking the colors I'm getting from the few coral I have (zoas, GSP, Devils Finger, Orange Monti-Cap) and plan to add some more SPS in the next couple of days. I hope to locate some millepora locally that I can get smalls frags of to do a grow out chronicle here.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
No sump on your Nanocube? You need a drilled one!

No sump on this tank. It's sitting here neat and tidy on my desk as work. Going with a sump would complicate the set-up as well as it would require more holes in my desk. Not my best option at the moment :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
sooo when are the are the pictures coming up:lurk:

The tank is in the middle of a Remodel so once I get the coral in place and they are settled down I'll take some pics. Honestly I have so much GSP growing on the front glass that pics would have been embarrassing. I brought some home tonight to "frag" and I'll probably clean the glass the rest o the way tomorrow.

On a side note... my Neon Green Toadstool self propagated itself (head splitting) from one main head to a single main head and 3 smaller heads. I cut the smaller heads loose today and now have them "attached" to some rock rubble. Hopefully all 3 babies will survive and attached to their respective rock. (crosses fingers)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
This morning I came into my office and noticed something has "happened" in my tank. It's a NC12 with StevesLED. This tank has been set up for ~5-6 years now. Nothing new has been added in terms of Live Rock for a couple of years and no new animals have been added except a single emerald crab a year ago. If I didn't know better I would swear someone has dumped "Sea Monkey" (aka brine shrimp) eggs into my tank. Here is what's in the tank:

• 1 True Perc (~5-6 years old)
  • 1 Emerald Crab
  • Few Hermits
  • Few Snails
  • Zoas
  • Finger Leather
  • Toadstool
  • GSP (2 varieties)
  • Monti cap
  • Birdsnest
  • Bryopsis (receding rapidly)
  • Valonia (about to attack it this weekend)

Below is a picture (somewhat close up) when the pump and powerhead OFF... the eggs settle readily but with any water movement they stay suspended in the water column

2013-03-28095110_zps1e660649.jpg

Here is a picture snapped showing some suspended in the water column (crappy phone pic)..The eggs are the brown round spheres in this picture.

2013-03-28095207_zps0c40735b.jpg

Here is a another shot with the pumps ON and you can see they are tangled in some webby material. I don't know if this is part of the eggs or if the eggs are irritating things in the tank which are causing the webby material

2013-03-28101910_zpscbede1f1.jpg

Any idea?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I did get confirmation it is my GSP spawning (yesterday was indeed a FULL moon).

Pachyclavularia violacea to be specific thanks to Albert Thiel.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Cool... I google searched for 15 mins Allen, looking at pics & articles... but not coming up with anything... learn something new on RS every day :dance:

Cheers - Albert Thiel

Pachyclavularia violacea spawning - Green Star Polyps

starpolypspawn3.jpg

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Great find Glenn. That exactly what it looks like. I just added a bag of carbon to the tank just in case. I would normally do a large WC but I loaned my RO/DI to a new reefer here in town. I gotta get that back SOON!!

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
This is very interesting! Is it a good thing or a bad thing? I was thinking that I wanted a Green Star as a grassy looking filler but now I don't know if that's a good idea. What are you going to do Big Al?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Thanks Allen !

Wonder how many GSP you are about to have in the tank ;)
LOL! I'm actually hoping they do NOT mature... otherwise I'll be looking for a salt water lawn mower LOL!

Here's a picture I found in an article from Eric Borneman
image016c.jpg

That's exactly what I witnessed this morning. It lasted a couple of hours but the majority of the eggs are now just "gone".